2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 8:51 AM by sandeep Munagala

SAML Certificate and Key Files

sandeep Munagala

Hi,

I am newbie for installation stuff. I am working to upgrade the Tableau 9.2 to 10.1 and enable to SAML. In order to configure the SAML I wanted to understand how to generate or source to get the Certificate file and also Key file. Please help me provide some information.

When I looked up in Tableau site I see there is some material to generate .csr and .key files for SSL. How do we do the similar thing for SAML and also Certificate file is .crt extension. How do we achieve to generate .crt file.

• 1. Re: SAML Certificate and Key Files
          Nick Roush

We generated the .csr and .key files mentioned and sent them over to our SAML team. They then sent us back the .crt and .key files.

• 2. Re: SAML Certificate and Key Files
            sandeep Munagala

Thanks Nick,

I did figure out the way to generate the .crt file as well

Here are the steps and commands to generate all 3 files. This worked for me.

Steps to Generate Certificate File and Key File for 10.1 version:

1. Set Open SSL Config using this command:  (Optional)

set OPENSSL_CONF=c:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\<version>\apache\conf\openssl.cnf

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\<version>\apache\bin

.Key File: openssl.exe genrsa -out <yourcertname>.key 4096

3.  .csr File: openssl.exe req -new -key yourcertname.key -out yourcertname.csr

add -config ..\conf\openssl.cnf at the end if you do not set the OPEN SSL config

4.  .crt File: openssl.exe x509 -req -days 1825 -in devcert.csr -signkey devcert.key -out devcert.crt

1 of 1 people found this helpful