6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2017 7:12 AM by rupal.sumaria.0

Users Unable to Open Dashboard with Tableau Reader 10.0

Jarred Wion

I deployed Tableau Reader 10.0 to every computer on my company's network with the following script:

If not exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Reader 10.0\bin\tabreader.exe" (

if not exist "C:\temp" (mkdir C:\temp)

copy "\\networkdrivel\Tableau\TableauReader-32bit-10-0-0.exe" "C:\temp\TableauReader-32bit-10-0-0.exe"

start /wait C:\temp\TableauReader-32bit-10-0-0.exe /quiet /norestart AUTOUPDATE="0" ACCEPTEULA="1" DESKTOPSHORTCUT="1" STARTMENUSHORTCUT="1"

del "C:\temp\TableauReader-32bit-10-0-0.exe"

)

Now users are saying that they are unable to open dashboards in Tableau Reader. When I tested this on my own computer, I saw the icon for tableau reader flash on my taskbar and then quickly disappear after trying to open the file by double clicking on said file. Now when I open reader first, and then open the file from within Tableau Reader it works fine.

After this started I was told one of the users posted the problem here and someone from Tableau Tech Support said reader would need to be reinstalled to fix the issue. I uninstalled the program on my computer using the following script:

\\networkdrive\Tableau\TableauReader-32bit-10-0-0.exe /uninstall /quiet /norestart

Then I reinstalled the program with the same script as I used above just to make sure that there was nothing wrong with the install script. After the install completed, the file opened just fine.

My questions are as follows:

What is causing this to happen?

What can be done to prevent this from happening on future updates?

Is there anything besides reinstalling the program I can do to remedy the issue?

Thanks in advance.