2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 7:26 AM by Matthew Risley

Which is correct formula to calculate NPS?

Pahul Walia

How can I calculate Net Promoter Score when I have response data from 0-10 and 88 which signifies not applicable in the list of response? What should be the accurate formula to calculate NPS?

• 1. Re: Which is correct formula to calculate NPS?
          Tina Hauser

As I understand it, the calculation is % of promoters (score 9 or 10) minus % of detractors (score 0-6).

I assume you would ignore 88 just as you would ignore the 7 and 8 scores. But, this is not a metric I've worked with often so I'm not your best resource if you're seeking best practices around the score itself.

In terms of using Tableau, there are a few ways you could set up this calculation depending on how your data is structured and what other dimensions are in your view.

• 2. Re: Which is correct formula to calculate NPS?
            Matthew Risley

Pahul,

-I use NPS daily. Here is how I did it:

-I make a case statement for Promoter and Detractor. You may need an if statement though. It depends on your case. Something like:

CASE  [value]

when 'promoter'

then 1

END

For your use case you may have 88 "Nulls". We call these "No scores" so as we made a calculated field for promoter and detractor, make one for "No scores"

Then I create the NPS score Calculated field:

(count([Promoter]) / count([Number of Records]) - count([No Score]) - (count([Detractor]) / count([Number of Records])-count([No Score])

You may need to play with the calculations based on how your data is structured.

Hope that helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful