1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 19, 2016 9:32 PM by Manideep Bhattacharyya

Cannot activate and install Tableu Properly

Mike Lane

Computer:  Windows 10

I never had Tablaeu before. I was given these instructions to install:

Student Key for Course:

Landing Page: http://www.tableau.com/tft/activation

Desktop Key: *****-*****-*****-*****

Instructions: Click on the link above and select Get Started. On the form, enter your emory email address for “Business email”; and under "Organization", please input Emory ****

The first time Tablaeu installed, but froze up and crashed.  The next time I try to put in an activation key, I get this error code:

The activation of the fulfillment is denied by the activation policy because Maximum extra activations exceeded... [Incident# 8513-98878016]

I am in class right now, and from my understanding the other students except me were able to install Tablaeu with the same key (or at least the key they were given).

I look up the error code and I got this: http://kb.tableau.com/articles/issue/error-max-extra-activations-exceeded

The problem is as I have described above the error does not make sense with my situation: 1) Other people were able to use the key , 2) I have never installed Tablaeu before on this machine or on any machine.

I am confused and lost in what to do.  I have tried contacting support since they can see the specific key value, but I still have not heard back from them.

Can anyone help?  Does anyone know what is going on?

• 1. Re: Cannot activate and install Tableu Properly
          Manideep Bhattacharyya

Couple of questions before any conclusion:

a. Have you downloaded Tableau Desktop 10.1 and tried to install on your laptop which has windows 10 ? Tableau provide a free trial for 14 days, so you should not be stuck as they will provide you 14 days time to enter the key

b. One key is for one person

c. If your key is already in use they get a new key key.

d. While applying key, if you are on Internet then the activation process is simple, else offline activation process to follow which is little complex.

Thanks,

Manideep