1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 4:04 PM by Santiago Sanchez

END GOAL: Simulate a Quick Filter's 'Use All' in a User Filter's Value Set. (ex. Show new values as they appear in data)

John Adubufuor

END GOAL: Simulate a quick filter's 'Use All' in a User Fitler Value Set. (ex. Show new values as they appear in data)

Create a User Filter that allows one end user to only see one specific value, and a second admin user that can see all values. (Even new values as they appear in the data set later).

ISSUE: If a new value appears in the data in the future, the Admin who I want to always see everything does not see it. I have to manually add the new value to the Admin's User Filter set.

When I create the user filter I can achieve my end goal with the current data. User see's only one value (A) and Admin see All values (A, B, C). When D appears later, Admin does not see it until I manually add it.

If this was a quick filter, it behaves like I clicked "All" while selecting from list, when what I want is for it to behave like I clicked 'Use All'

STEPS TO RECREATE

Create a simple Excel sheet as Follows"

A1 = Group

A2 = A

A2 = B

A3 = C

Save and add this as a datasource to a Tableau workbook

Create a tableau sheet and drop Group on the Row Pane

Sign into Tableau Server

Create a User Filter with Group named 'Group_to_See" and add any 2 users

Select A as member value for 1st User

Select All as member value for 2nd User.

At this point everything works as desired.

Open Excel datasource and add A4 = D

Refresh tableau

Notice that nobody sees D.

Edit Set of User Filter and add D to 2nd User

Now we have what we want but will have to manually add every new value.

If there was a Use All option on the User Fitler that behaved just like a Quick Filter we'd eliminate dmanual effort to let the the 2nd user (an admin for example) always see all values.

Any and all help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

ja