4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 8:50 AM by Toby Erkson

Questions about server table "desktop_reporting"

Toby Erkson

I'm looking at the contents of this table and now I've got some questions.  Since this is a new table (version 10) I don't expect answers unless I contact support or an employee steps in

1. What does Return mean in the action column?
      2. I have one entry with a blank mac_address.  The rest of the fields are filled in for this particular user so how is this possible?
      3. Some entries have a Null value in the maintenance_expiration.  Why?
      4. One entry is blank in the product_keys column!  Why?
      5. registration_date contains Null for some entries (below image).  Why/How?

-- Misc --

What caught my attention was that there is no connection between this table and system_users nor users!  Thinking about this it does make sense because Desktop is not logging on to the Server, it's simply communicating that it exists.  However, I expect people will want to associate a license to a registered Tableau Server user so using one or more of the following fields will be necessary:

system_users table:

Here's how I would do it, using a LEFT join if I wanted to keep all of my desktop_reporting info:

This is because not all people have rights to publish to the Server (not a registered User)   We use Active Directory so computer_user_id works.  If it's possible that your organization could have duplicate IDs then email fields would be a way to JOIN the tables.