3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 6:58 AM by Jigar Shah

Dendrogram in Tableau

Aishwarya Sivakumar

Can anyone help me to create a dendrogram like this in Tableau ? I have a set of hierarchical data which should help the user to see the by the heirarchy Category ->Retailers->Products->Sub Categories etc.

images.png

I have already gone through the threads about Dendrogram in Tableau Community. But then, i have not gotten any solution which will create a chart as given in the image.

Any quick help will be appreciated !!

Thanks in Advance,

Aish

• 1. Re: Dendrogram in Tableau
          Norbert Maijoor

Hi Aishwarya,

You could start the journey here

• 2. Re: Dendrogram in Tableau
            Aishwarya Sivakumar

Hi Norbert,

Thank you for your reply. I have already gone through this thread. Looks like it is more of Node Links and Sankey.

I want something similar to this.

images.png

Will be helpful if you can give any ideas to achieve this on top of the thread you have shared.

-Aish

• 3. Re: Dendrogram in Tableau
              Jigar Shah

Hi Aishwarya,

I am working on a very similar problem. I am identifying customer segmentation using hierarchical clustering, and dendrograms are one of the outputs.  Tableau has limitations around this visual. Node links and Sankey graphs do not provide the results I am looking for.

So I have decided to work with my hierarchical data in R and produce the output using the dendextend package.  There is a possibility to use Rserve and send the R script via calculated field, but I see no value in that. It's better to just produce the dendrograms in R and export as PDF.

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Jigar