4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2016 7:35 AM by David Boobis

MySQL Server 5.1 and the MySQL data connector in Tableau Desktop 10

David Boobis

When I try to connect to one of our MySQL servers running 5.1 using the MySQL connector in Tableau Desktop 10, I get the following error message:

Unable to connect to the ODBC Data Source. Check that the necessary drivers are installed and that the connection properties are valid. [MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver]Malformed packet Unable to connect to the server. Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

From what I can gather, this indicates that the driver is finding something it's not expecting to connect to. I have ODBC drivers 3.51, 5.1, and 5.3 installed, and can connect to this database using the "Other Databases (ODBC)" connector and manually selecting the 5.1 driver. I can also connect using MySQL Query Browser (but not Workbench - may be related?).

Further, I can connect using Desktop 9.3 on a machine that has not had Desktop 10 installed but cannot do the same on my machine.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is this intended behaviour as of Tableau Desktop 10? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.