2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2016 1:57 PM by Jeff Roehl

Looking for the best way to visualize our clients with monetary data along with counts contemporaneously.

Jeff Roehl

And so, we are looking to understand the interplay between 3 sets of numbers, by clients over time.

We have our ideas on how to look at this, but we are looking for a fresh way to analyze this data over days to years. We are looking for “fresh eyes” and a novel approach, using Tableau 10, in looking at the interplay between these numbers, by client over time.

We need to get a good feel for how the situation is going, over the last few days and months with a few mouse clicks. To see outliers and trends, both good and bad, as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The Fields (data attached to this posting):

ID = A unique ID for every record, if you may find this helpful

Clientname = around 30 clients, genericized.

Date = The date this transaction took place.

Requested = This is a field that can have wild varying amounts in it. This may be misnamed. It probably should be more aptly described as “The enormity/seriousness of the situation.”

Paid = The amount we paid on this date. This is a good thing. We want to pay as much as possible, as compared to the amount requested.

Appeal = Each record is an appeal. An appeal represents an effort on our part, an expenditure so to speak. It is always nice to pay out (“paid”) the most, per client, with the least amount of appeals.

Our current approach is to use a “dual axis” visualization with a combo line (appeals) and bars for (requested) and (paid). Something like this generic representation:

Capture.PNG

But nobody seems really excited about this. Don’t get me wrong, it is not that bad.

1) It is hard to compare clients to each other with this approach.

2) If you start putting numbers on this visualization (and the managers love seeing actual numbers in the vis), it gets cluttered and distracting. This is a bit of a catch 22.

3) We need to see more clients taking up less screen space.

Issues with the data:

1) There are large fluctuations in the values of the “requested” field.

2) From looking at the data on a daily or weekly basis, there are a lot of dropped dates owing to weekends and holidays.

So, this is what we are dealing with.

Sample data is attached.

Thank you very much for looking at this!

Jeff

• 1. Re: Looking for the best way to visualize our clients with monetary data along with counts contemporaneously.
          Yuriy Fal

Hi Jeff,

I would like to propose a more "analytical" view (imho)

which could be complementary to your "operational" one (imho :-).

The latter one is great, and could be used as such

to compare Clients (putting them on Rows and scrolling).

You could use both views on a dashboard --

mine as a "bird-eye" one, yours as a "detail" one --

and filter the Clients of interest using multi-select Filter Action.

Please find the attached (version 10.0) workbook.

I've uploaded a *.twb file -- to reduce an upload size.

You should be using it together with your datasource CSV.

Hope it could help a bit.

Yours,

Yuri

• 2. Re: Looking for the best way to visualize our clients with monetary data along with counts contemporaneously.
            Jeff Roehl

Yuriy,

Thank you so much for this.

I will be looking at this in the morning! Thanks Jeff Roehl jroehl2@yahoo.com (818) 835-5912

To: Jeff Roehl <jroehl2@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:59 AM

Subject: Re:  - Looking for the best way to visualize our clients with monetary data along with counts contemporaneously.

#yiv5529520108 * #yiv5529520108 a #yiv5529520108 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv5529520108 #yiv5529520108 h1, #yiv5529520108 h2, #yiv5529520108 h3, #yiv5529520108 h4, #yiv5529520108 h5, #yiv5529520108 h6, #yiv5529520108 p, #yiv5529520108 hr {}#yiv5529520108 .yiv5529520108button td {}

|

Tableau Community 

|

Looking for the best way to visualize our clients with monetary data along with counts contemporaneously.

reply from Yuriy Fal in Forums - View the full discussionHi Jeff, I would like to propose a more "analytical" view (imho)which could be complementary to your "operational" one (imho :-).The latter one is great, and could be used as suchto compare Clients (putting them on Rows and scrolling). You could use both views on a dashboard --mine as a "bird-eye" one, yours as a "detail" one --and filter the Clients of interest using multi-select Filter Action. Please find the attached (version 10.0) workbook.I've uploaded a *.twb file -- by a reason, of course.You should be using it together with your datasource CSV. Hope it could help a bit. Yours,Yuri

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on Tableau Community

Start a new discussion in Forums by email or at Tableau Community

Following Looking for the best way to visualize our clients with monetary data along with counts contemporaneously. in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by Tableau Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Tableau Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences   |

|