1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 11, 2016 7:52 PM by Shinichiro Murakami

Combining Multiple and Mixed Date/Measure Data Series

Michael Patterson

Hello all,

I am relatively new to Tableau and have been using these forums massively to get up-to-speed. Tons of great info!

I am completely lost however on a data combination I regularly perform with Excel.

As you'll see in the attachment: I have one time-series of data (daily date range with associated data), and a second table of data (a different unique ID number per row with associated metrics). This is a very small clipping of the size of data I am usually working with.

Sheet 1:

Each row contains unique dates, daily, with associated data per row. In the full dataset there may be one column of a daily date range and 6+ columns or data associated to each date.

Sheet 2:

Each row contains metrics and information associated with a unique ID key. For each unique ID key, there may be multiple columns of various dates, various measures and dimensions.

As you'll see in the attachment, because the 'Sheet 2' data is based on one row per unique ID key, there could be multiple IDs with duplicate dates (e.g. two or more IDs have a common 'Announcement Date'). Hence, the need for a mixed Line & Scatter Plot in Excel, so that I see the multiple data points occurring on common dates.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what I need to do in Tableau to make this work. I tried various Joins and Unions and lots of different combinations in the Viz window and can't get it figured out. It would be amazing if the data needs to be manipulated as little as possible as I use a data service which dumps out the data into separate Excel sheets in the format as mimicked in my attachment.

Generally, I will have 'Sheet 1' time-series data over two decades (~7,000 rows of unique data) and I want to sprinkle on various data in the format of 'Sheet 2' to see how the data lies in with the historic data. As I'm sure you can already start imagining, I want to then be able to use Tableau's beautiful layouts and have two or more of the combination charts on top of each other, combining various associated data all across the same two-decade time horizon.

Many thanks for any help you all can provide!

Cheers,

Mike