3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2016 2:26 PM by Phil Naranjo

Device designer starter, please help!

Andres Solano

Hi everyone,

Two questions from someone that discovered Device Designer two days ago and needs to ramp up really fast.

1. Client usually switches from a big monitor (default device) to a laptop monitor (900x600). We're adding a Tablet layout of 960x600 and adjusting height to 600. Does that make the trick? We don't know if Tableau would go for that viz, since the device is not a Tablet (we're talking about a Laptop monitor), but resolution will match the layout.

2. After adding the layout, and adjusting height, I go in to that device layout and start double clicking on labels and titles and I don't get the format screen as I can see it in this link (10:48 in 17 Tableau Public Training Device Designer - YouTube  )  Any ideas on why I can't format my elements to make them shine?

Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Ivan

• 1. Re: Device designer starter, please help!
          Phil Naranjo

Hi Ivan--

For question #1:

The laptop monitor will be interpreted by device designer as a Tablet.  That is because the smallest dimension (600 pixels) is less that the >800 pixel breakpoint that defines a Desktop display.  Read the last portion (testing your dashboards) of our online help for details:

https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#dashboards_dsd_create.html?Highlight=device%20designe

So in this case, adjust the Tablet layout using Fit Width or Fit All sizing to ensure that the dashboard is readable.  You can also design a dashboard that scales predictably across Desktop and Tablet.  That is, one that just works across those devices without significant changes.  I can send you an example.

For question #2:

You can only apply formatting changes in the default layout.  Think of default as a master template that controls worksheet formatting and actions. It also determines which worksheets appear in the device layouts.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

--Phil

Product Manager, Tableau Dashboards Dev Team

• 2. Re: Device designer starter, please help!
            Andres Solano

Thanks Phil!

Regarding # 1. As long as my device has a similar resolution to the tablet, Tableau won't differentiate about it being a laptop monitor or a tablet. Is that what you're saying? It would just know by the resolution which layout to use. That's great. This helps us solve the issue when client projects using really low definition projectors. We were concerned about the lack of a "projector" layout.

Regarding # 2 Let me see if I got it. For elements that need different formats (like font size) depending on the device, the suggestion would be to add the same element three times with the different formats to the default dashboard, and then, use them respectively on their device. Would it impact somehow performance? I am guessing any action changing the dashboard would require the three layouts to be refreshed. I don't want to think about some workbooks we have that have 5 analysis getting refreshed at the same time since they all share filters. That would mean 15 dashboards being refreshed at all times.

Thanks for your answers, they're really helpful!

Ivan

• 3. Re: Device designer starter, please help!
              Phil Naranjo

Hi Ivan--

For #1:  Yes, Device Designer is only detecting the embeddable space in the mobile browser window.  That's it.  It does not differentiate between device types/models.   As for #2: If you need very different formatting between Desktop, Tablet, and Phone, you can duplicate worksheets and modify their formatting as needed in the default.  The key is to create all three layouts, so that default behaves as a scratch pad or staging area for planning the device layouts.  This 'staging area' approach will not impact Server performance.  It won't result in slower download times or viz interaction performance.  However, when you create dashboards with Device Designer, we recommend that you use Fit All or Fit Width (automatic sizing).  Dashboard automatic sizing works better for phone and tablet devices as it allows the dashboard to scale across a variety of screen sizes. That said, fixed size dashboard have a higher likelihood of hitting cache (better perf) because all requests will ask for the same embeddable space. So there is a trade-off when using automatic sizing.

Cheers,

--Phil