4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2016 7:59 AM by Emily Cawse

Help!

Emily Cawse

Hi guys,

I'm having one of those problems where I can't even Google it because I can't figure out how to explain it!

So I have put together a simplified version of my data file and thought I'd pose my question to the community. Your help would be so appreciated.

In my data, information about one unique user is stored in different rows of the same file. So one of my calculations looks like this:

COUNTD(if [Type]="Click" then [Unique identifier] end)/COUNTD(if [Type]="Open" then [Unique identifier] end)

However, I'm trying to create a visualisation using a category that is only found in one of the rows. This means that my calculation comes up as null.

I've attached the sample data and a basic version of the Tableau Workbook. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to be able to use the category in my visualisation?

Thanks,

Emily

• 1. Re: Help!
          Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Emily,

I believe this can be done by duplicating your sheet. i also answered for someone similar to your case, you can find with attachment on that thread: Try to calculate price keeping one item within a dimension constant

Sorry, i couldn't deeply go through your file currently but if no one replies, I try to look at it later tonight. Thanks

Sherzod

• 2. Re: Help!
            Matt Fischer

So I played around a bit, but I have a question about the underlying data. If you're breaking it up by click category, that only applies to the "click" type. So do you want it to show like the following:

tab.png

When you start to drill down, where do you want the "Opens" allocated?

tab2.png

• 3. Re: Help!
              Emily Cawse

Thanks Matt! (Sorry for my slow reply, I'm on UK time.)

That's a really good question. There isn't a 1-1 relationship between an open and a click - you could have one open and multiple clicks.

Also, I didn't include this in my simplified data, but you could have one open and no click.

My aim is to get a click to open rate - so out of 100 opens we might have 30 clicks on M1, 20 clicks on M2, etc. - and I want to display as a percentage.

Does that answer your question? :S

• 4. Re: Help!
                Emily Cawse

Hi Sherzodbek,

Update: Thanks for the link, but I'm not sure I understand how I can use that solution for my problem.

I have duplicated the data source, used the unique identifier as the linking field, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference to my viz.

I'm probably missing something!

Thanks,
                Emily