5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2016 6:02 AM by Hardik Hirpara

Proper name of action filter in a dashboard

Adam Huitt

I have a dashboard that includes several different worksheets.  There are several action filters created to filter the different worksheets.  All of this is working fine.  But I want to use the javascript api to reference a particular worksheet and set the action filter selection - and also to clear an action filter selection.  I've been trying to use applyFilterAsync("[name]","[value]") and clearfilterAsync() but have had no luck.  It seems like this should be so simple.  But I don't know how to get the name of the action filter.  When I go to the menu item for Dashboard and click on Actions I see the name there (it is "LOB").  Then when I see it referenced in other places I see "Action (LOB.LOB.LOB)".  I can actually debug and loop through the worksheets and all the filters to find the exact filter I need, but there is no "name" property....  How do I get the proper name of the action filter?  Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Proper name of action filter in a dashboard
          Hardik Hirpara

Hello Adam,

Please try with below code :

First add all filters in initViz function inside url as option like below :

Var url = "Your Embed url" ,

options = {

"YEAR(Order Date)": "" ,

"State":"",

hideTabs: true

};

viz = new tableau.Viz(containerDiv, url, options);

1) For Apply Filter :

workbook = viz.getWorkbook();  // Retrieve my workbook

Activesheet= workbook.getActiveSheet(); // Retrieve my active sheet

Activesheet.applyFilterAsync("State", "ABC", tableauSoftware.FilterUpdateType.REPLACE); // Apply Filter on Action Filter Note: "State" is name of Filter please see the screen shot

1.png

2) For Clear Filter :

sheet.clearFilterAsync("State");

Please let me know if you want more detail.

Thanks,

Hardik

• 2. Re: Proper name of action filter in a dashboard
            Adam Huitt

So your comments didn't completely work.  But they did get me to try changing the value of the filter when the viz is loaded/init.  The title of the filter was edited so it shows something other than the real name above the filter - so that didn't work.  But I used the filter name in my list of actions under the dashboard menu and when I initialized the viz and put that action name in the options it worked!  So the name given in the actions list is definitely the name I need to use.

When I try to get my external button to change the value of the selected action filter, it doesn't seem to work. I added the filter name to my init options for the viz, then I have the following code when I click my button:

sheet = viz.getWorkbook().getActiveSheet();

worksheets = sheet.getWorksheets();

HCBS = worksheets[0];

HCBS.applyFilterAsync("LOB","MS1TP",tableauSoftware.FilterupdateType.REPLACE);

When I click the button it dims the chart and shows the "working" symbol, then just returns to the page and nothing changes.  When I debug, it walks through the code without error and seems to submit the function properly.

Any ideas why it's not updating the viz?  Thank you for the help!

• 3. Re: Proper name of action filter in a dashboard
              Hardik Hirpara

Hello Adam,

If possible can you please share your javascript code with me ?

So I can check it at my end and resolve it asap and revert back to you.

Thanks,

hardik

• 4. Re: Proper name of action filter in a dashboard
                Adam Huitt

Here is a shot of the actions list:

Capture.PNG

Here is the script:

<script src="https://[internal server address]/javascripts/api/tableau-2.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">// <![CDATA[    

function initViz() {        

var containerDiv = document.getElementById("vizContainer"),        

url = "https://[internal server address]//t/ISGSTest/views/MAAPLaborDashboard/RotaryMissionSystemsLaborDashboard?:embed=y";         

options = {hideTabs : true, hideToolbar: false, "LOB" : ""};        

viz = new tableau.Viz(containerDiv, url, options);    

}

function filterLOB(){

sheet = viz.getWorkbook().getActiveSheet();

worksheets = sheet.getWorksheets();

var HCBS = worksheets[0];

HCBS.applyFilterAsync("LOB","C4USS", tableauSoftware.FilterUpdateType.REPLACE);     

initViz();

// ]]></script>

<input onclick="filterLOB();" type="button" />

• 5. Re: Proper name of action filter in a dashboard
                  Hardik Hirpara

Hello Adam,

I am not sure. but I think this is not possible.

As per my knowledge using applyFilterAsync('--') method, we can apply filter on worksheet only means with filter panel. May be I am wrong.

Your concept is very good. I will try if possible to resolve it.

Thanks,

Hardik