1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 4, 2016 2:03 PM by Stoyko Kostov

Calculations with original data after filter added to context.

Sandor Marton

If I understood correctly, when I add my filters to context, then Tableau slices my original data and creates a temporary data frame. I want to calculate the number of records for my original data, but when I try then I obtain the number of records for the temporary data. Is there a way to access the original data after that I added my filters to context?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Calculations with original data after filter added to context.
          Stoyko Kostov

Hi Sandor - This is a tricky one. Typically the reason you add a filter to the context is so that it is never ignored - always applied to your calculations.

What exactly are you trying to do? I can recommend 2 approaches:

1. Create 2 separate sheets and combine them in a dashboard. One sheet would have the filter applied to context, and the other would not.

• This will work if you just want to display the pre-filter number.
          • If you want to reuse the pre-filter number in a calculation, it may be hard or impossible.

2. Do not apply the filter to context. It will still be applied to traditional aggregation calculations, but will not be applied to LOD calculations.

• This filter will apply to calculation like SUM([Number of Records])
          • This filter will not apply to calculation like {FIXED:SUM([Number of Records])}

In any case, please let me know your exact scenario - I may be able to help with a different approach.