1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 3, 2016 4:46 PM by Stoyko Kostov

Difference between YTD Average and Running Average?

Carlene Jones

Hi community,

I have recently come across a conundrum I can not seem to figure out. There is a difference between the YTD Average and the running average up to today's date.

KPI is a 0 or 1 value.  My formula for the running average value is RUNNING_AVG(AVG([KPI]))

When the value is set on a graph with weeks, the running average of KPI is 76% as seen below:

running average.PNG

However, when weeks is taken off of the shelf, running average becomes 75%

dates removed.PNG

Because it is a 0/1 value: I can also just avg(KPI) in order to find the ytd average: that number comes out to 75%

So why is it then, when the running average calculation is plotted with weeks, that the value changes to 76%???

Thanks for all of your help in advance!

• 1. Re: Difference between YTD Average and Running Average?
          Stoyko Kostov

Hi Carlene,

RUNNING_AVG() is a table calculation and can be computed in various ways: Table-down, table-accross, or cell. The values you get may be different, and the default computation may be different depending on how you build your dashboard (i.e. in what order you drag dimensions and measures to it).

Click on "Edit table calculation" and see what of these options is selected. My guess is that if you select "Table down", you would get the number that you see without the week dimension, but to be absolutely sure, I would need to look at your data.

Please play with the settings above and see if this helps you clarify your issue. If not, please provide a sample of your data, and I'll be happy to look at it.

Thank you!