2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 7:25 AM by Christina Morgan

Custom "This Week" Filter

Christina Morgan

I'm creating a dashboard for a team whose week begins at noon on Wednesday. I'm trying to build a calculated field that includes only entries back to the previous Wednesday at noon. How would I build this calc? I've been wrestling with DATEDIFF, DATETRUNC, DATEPART and NOW, but can't quite get there.

• 1. Re: Custom "This Week" Filter
          Joe Oppelt

I would start with a calc like this:

datepart('weekday',today())

On Monday, this returns a value of 2, for example.

So if that calc is > 4, then maybe do a datediff of some sort from TODAY() backward subtracting 4 from the calc value.  And if it's less than 4 you want to go back 7 - ([calc value]+4).  Something like that.  And you'll have to do a MAKEDATETIME() to insert theNOON time in there:

MAKEDATETIME(date, time)

Returns a datetime that combines a date and a time. The date can be a date, datetime, or a string type. The time must be a datetime. This function is available only for MySQL connections.

Examples

MAKEDATETIME("1899-12-30", #07:59:00#) = #12/30/1899 7:59:00 AM#      

MAKEDATETIME([Date], [Time]) = #1/1/2001 6:00:00 AM#

Basically you want to create a date range by building your starting date and ending with TODAY().

Then have a calc that looks like this:

IF [date] >= [start date calc] and [date] <= today() then 1 else 0 end

(The part about <=today() may be moot if you have no dates in the future.)

Put that on your filter shelf and select for value = 1.

• 2. Re: Custom "This Week" Filter
            Christina Morgan

Thanks, Joe. I hadn't used MAKEDATETIME before. That's exactly what I needed.

I have three calculated fields:

Now's weekday number:

DATEPART('weekday',NOW())

Last Wednesday at Noon:

if [Now's Weekday number] = 1 then MAKEDATETIME(today() - 4, #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 2 then MAKEDATETIME(today() - 5, #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 3 then MAKEDATETIME(today() - 6, #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 4 and datepart('hour', now()) < 12 then MAKEDATETIME(today() -7, #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 4 and datepart('hour', now()) >= 12 then MAKEDATETIME(today(), #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 5 then MAKEDATETIME(today() - 1, #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 6 then MAKEDATETIME(today() - 2, #12:00:00#)

elseif [Now's Weekday number] = 7 then MAKEDATETIME(today() - 3, #12:00:00#)

END

Start Time > Last Wednesday at Noon (this one I use as the filter):

[Start Time] > [Last Wednesday at Noon]

Thanks again Joe!