1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 27, 2016 12:31 PM by Stephen Rizzo

Custom SQL with Parameters using a Data Extract - How to Refresh Data?

Amber Eadie

Hi Everyone! I'm hoping somebody on here has done something like this before and can help steer me in the right direction.

I will setup my scenario first:

I am connecting to a single database table that has about 6 billion rows of data in it. Tableau will not let me use a Live connection to the data due to performance so I had to resort to an Extract for my data connection. I still could not pull all of the data with an Extract so I decided that with custom SQL I would add in parameters that would set the date range (WHERE DATE BETWEEN) and the user could set the values of the parameters (start date and end date) on the dashboard. This works well but I receive a Warning dialog box that informs me that I will need to refresh the data extract for the data to refresh in the view according to the new parameter values.

I would like to know if there is a way to add an image or a button of sorts on a dashboard that will trigger the data extract refresh? I do not want to have my users download the workbook every time they want to use this query and I also don't want them to have to learn how to refresh a data extract/add additional steps since I am trying to recreate an existing query built in an older tool. Also, scheduling the data extract refresh is not a viable solution as this query is done on a ad-hoc basis by about 50 different users at varying times of the day.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Amber

• 1. Re: Custom SQL with Parameters using a Data Extract - How to Refresh Data?
          Stephen Rizzo

I don't think you can add a button to refresh the extract (although if someone else knows of a way, I would love to hear about it!). However, I think it should be possible to manually refresh the extract with a new set of parameters without having to download the workbook. This is of course provided the workbook has been uploaded to Tableau Server and the users have the appropriate permissions.

First change the parameters in the workbook on Tableau Server. Then go back to the workbook's list of views. Before selecting a view, near the top of the browser window next to the name of the workbook select "..." (More Actions), then select "Refresh Extracts...".

I have never tried this, but to the best of my knowledge I think it should work. I hope that helps!