8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2016 2:49 PM by Deepak Reddy Mogulla

Can't download workbook using Tableau API

Deepak Reddy Mogulla

Hi All,

I am using Tableau API via Postman to download a workbook. I tried the tabcmd get route before I went to API, and here are the issues I faced in both the cases.

Tabcmd issue:

My workbook name has spaces between words like, say , 'Audit Workbook'. I face a 400 Bad Request error with only those workbooks which have spaces in their name. Below is the snap shot of the error with tabcmd running on command prompt or powershell. I have tried all the escape methods and failed. Seemed like %20 was close, but it gave a 400 bad request, not sure what is that I am missing here. Below are snapshots of the command and the error.

So I opted to use the API to download workbooks.

API issue:

To make things easy for me, I went the lazy way and downloaded Tableau APIs or Postman zip file from Github here. I am very comfortable with all the API in there except for the 'Download Workbook' one. I get an auth token for myself (admin) and obtain the site-id, the workbook-id, and place all things in the right locations and hit Send. I get this message which says that there was a problem downloading the workbook. Now I have a really bad headache working on downloading a workbook alternatively.

Any suggestions are much appreciated and thanks for looking.

Regards,
      Deepak