Samuel Gee

Hi!

Many of my products are listed as:

Label 1

Label 2

Label 3

But many more are:

Label/Label2/Label3

I would like a CONTAINS formula that will pick up on anything in the format "XXX/XXX/XXX". So text slash text slash text. The actual labels are too varied to list out by hand.

Does this exist? I can't find any wildcard characters in the help documentation.

Thanks!

Sam

• 1. Re: Wildcard in CONTAINS ?
          Joe Oppelt

Your question is vague.

First, there is no wildcard in contains.  So don't bang your head on that wall. 

CONTAINS will find the string "Label" whether it's stand-alone, or embedded in a long string with slashes.  But I'm guessing you're not looking for that.

CONTAINS will tell you a label contains slashes if that's what you look for, so it will tell you it has the format "XXX/XXX/XXX".  But I'm guessing you're not looking for that either.

So what are you actually looking for?

Maybe the REGEX functions will do what you need:

http://visualbi.com/blogs/data-discovery/introduction-regex-calculations-tableau-9-0/

• 2. Re: Wildcard in CONTAINS ?
            Samuel Gee

My apologies for the lack of clarity.

In a list of hundreds of thousands of product names, I want to isolate those that are in the format XXX/XXX/XXX.

I can't just use CONTAINS([Product Name],"/"), as there are products with a / in but not in the XXX/XXX/XXX format, which is specifically what I need to isolate.

I'll check the REGEX, thank you.

• 3. Re: Wildcard in CONTAINS ?
              Joe Oppelt

Does that mean you need slashes in positions 4 and 8, and be exactly 11 long?  Or that you have to have exactly 2 slashes, with varying lengths of characters in between?  Can there be spaces?  What if your label looked like this:

October/26/2016

Would you want the calc to count that one as a hit?

The reason I am asking all these questions is that there are other things you can do to find xxx/xxx/xxx.  You could REPLACE "/" with "" (null) and if the length of the string is two less than before, then you had two slashes.  Or you could specifically see if MID([Label],4,1) = "/" (and same for position 8).  but that only works if you have specifically 3-char chunks of XXX.

There is a FINDNTH function that will let you look for the first or second (or n-th) occurrence of a string in a field.  You can use that to see of the slashes are where you need them to be.  (And if there actually are 2 slashes.  And even if there are THREE slashes, which would probably tell you the string is not in the format xxx/xxx/xxx.)

Just some examples of ideas you can explore if REGEX can't do what you need.

• 4. Re: Wildcard in CONTAINS ?
                Samuel Gee

Thanks Joe.

I have to have three slashes, but the labels between them can be of varying lengths, and yes the date you listed would count as a hit.

I'm investigating REGEX right now as it's probably time I learned some, but those other options will be really useful when I invariably give up and look for the quick fix

Much obliged!