1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 12:11 PM by Toby Erkson Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 15. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
        Joe Oppelt

Toby Erkson wrote:

I agree w/Jonathan and Shawn.

Also, I hope this message gets out beyond a single forum post!  I was zipping quickly through in order to respond to a Forum post (which is NOT often!) when the below caught my eye:

This is the first time I saw this thread.  I'm on here practically every day.

Just saying.

• 16. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
          Brian Sharkey

If not for my Spidey reflexes I would've totally missed this   Please make sure you find other means to let the end user -- licensed users? -- know that this is happening.

Agree... like emailing them (oh the irony).

• 17. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
            Joe Oppelt

But for the record, any support interaction I have initiated was done through Tableau Support page, not email.  So even though I am finding this out for the first time today, it won't impact me.

• 18. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
              Joe Oppelt

Angie Connell wrote:

... if you use help from within Desktop (Help, Get Support, then “submit a case” under “Contact Support”).

I never knew that!!

• 19. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                Shawn Wallwork

Angie Connell wrote:

... Currently, we average 10,000 cases a month and our average time to first response to customers is 4 hours longer on emailed cases versus cases from the web form.

Good to know, but for us 'bug-reporters' we really don't care how long, if ever, it take you get back to us. We're just trying to help you de-bug your products and manuals.

Angie Connell wrote:

With an email, there is often a lot of back and forth between the customer and the technician just to get the required information needed to start the investigation of the issue. When technicians receive a case via the web form, they have basic information needed to do targeted research and reach out to our customers faster.

We feel your pain everyday on these forums. Often we helpers have longed for the sort of form you guys get to use. Look at some of the longer forum threads and you'll see we suffer through some of the same frustrations you folks do; and we're not even paid to politely ask all those questions.

Angie Connell wrote:

The web form does have 11 required fields, 3 of which can be auto filled by your browser if you choose (name, phone and email) and another 4 are auto filled if you use help from within Desktop (Help, Get Support, then “submit a case” under “Contact Support”).

I'm with Joe, I didn't know about the 4 autofill fields in Desktop. If I submit an actual Support Case, I'll definitely be using that. Thanks.

So as far as bug reporting goes. I'm pretty sure I'll just start posting them here on the forums with an @ mention for one of the Community folks. That way I can easily attach the necessary workbooks and log files, and not have to deal with you sending me an auto-email. Then the community folks can forward them on to you, or not. Doesn't really matter to me, but I would hope it would matter to you.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 20. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                  Shawn Wallwork

Angie,

I just realized that all I have to do is include an Angie Connell mention in my 'Bug Reports' and you can decide where to forward them. We're not talking about a high volume here, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue for you. And I suspect it might help you better understand, as a manager, what sort of 'bug reports' we send to support. Some of us actually know what we're talking about, and have a clue what the Devs need to understand the issue.

It would be even better if Tracy Rodgers or Patrick Van Der Hyde could set up a sub-space that was just for Bug Reports. This would avoid cluttering the forums with these issues. If you do this I'll put all my post there. In fact I'll stop editing myself. I don't report everything I discover, because it's a bit of a pain, and usually results in a 'We're aware of the issue, and are working on it.' However, make it extremely easy for me (us) and I'll post all of them, as every once in awhile I hit one the Devs are unaware of.

Ultimately my protest is that this change in policy is driven by your department's needs, and not the needs of the many people who are generously devoting their time and energy to try and help your products and company succeed. Essentially you are going 'Microsoft' on us! You are basing your decision on scale (10,000 a month) at the expense of your remaining 'boutique' advocates that have helped make your software great. Sad, very sad.

--Shawn

• 21. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                    Matthew Risley

It would be even better if Tracy Rodgers or Patrick A. Van Der Hyde could set up a sub-space that was just for Bug Reports. This would avoid cluttering the forums with these issues. If you do this I'll put all my post there.

Now this is a good solution. This would take little-to-no extra resources.

May I add that in this sub-space that there could be a "I can re-create this bug" button? With more votes on this button it would alert other users, and Tableau, that this bug is not just a case-by-case issue and is actually something to look into.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 22. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                      Shawn Wallwork

Yo Matthew! The 'I can recreate this...' button is a great idea! I like the way you think.

Cheers,

--Shawn

PS: Now how do I 'follow' Matthew? ....

• 23. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                        Patrick Van Der Hyde

Shawn and Matthew,

You guys have the best ideas.   Thank you!! 

We will take this one off and see if we could make it work in any that we could maintain with our team.  We can also investigate product enhancements/additions to Jive that might facilitate bug reporting. 

In the meantime, we currently receive an occasional report of an issue in the product as a discussion thread.  The most recent one was related to the High DPI issues of the Surface Pro & Tableau - High DPI : Microsoft Surface.  We always welcome discussions and reports of issues (and the related verification from other users) in the community.  Calling out the community team with a mention makes us aware of the post as well.  We try to engage on any of these sorts of issues behind the scenes with the development team to verify and or respond to the issue. 

However, if you are experiencing an issue that is potentially causing lost data, or preventing you from doing something that worked before and that thing is critical path for your viz making.  Then please, contact support with all the info.  They will either create a new defect or add you to the existing defect for notification when a fix is released and in some cases, even provide an early release version that may address the issue faster than waiting for a final release. 

Patrick

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 24. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                          Shawn Wallwork

Patrick A. Van Der Hyde wrote:

However, if you are experiencing an issue that is potentially causing lost data, or preventing you from doing something that worked before and that thing is critical path for your viz making.  Then please, contact support with all the info.  They will either create a new defect or add you to the existing defect for notification when a fix is released and in some cases, even provide an early release version that may address the issue faster than waiting for a final release. 

Patrick

Great to know Patrick!

Of course none of those options work for my clients; this is the reason we 'trail' the latest release by at least one version. It's also the reason I spend time posting 'bugs' for the latest release.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 25. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                            Gerardo Varela

"Report a bug" is already built into Tableau desktop, just not exposed to the public. I don't know how hard it would be to link it to community sub space for bug reporting rather than their internal site. Then add in the I can recreated this button Matthew suggested. Furthered by my comment above as Suggested Readings for soft guidelines on how to verify it's really a bug. That might benefit everyone.

Regards,

Gerardo

• 26. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                              Shawn Wallwork

Hey Angie! Have you gotten enough feedback yet? Do you want/need more? If not can you let the Tableau Forums Community Team post something else? We're a bit tired of this discussion. Do what you're going to do. Let us do what we do; and let Community Tableau highlight something other than the change you've already decided to make.

Let's just get on with it!

--Shawn

• 27. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                                David Pires

I'm coming late to this as I saw it popping up on Twitter.

I don't usually use the email to start the case. I go through the clunky process of creating the case in the portal and subsequently add any pics or videos.

My question is whether or not can we continue to reply to the email sent by the support team once the case has started to be investigated or do we need to log in to the portal and reply there? This is going to be a very long process if so, replying should stay as is if at all possible.

David

• 28. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases

Hi David,

Sorry for the confusion! This change only applies to how cases are submitted initially. Once your case is submitted, you will still be emailing with a technician just like you do today.

On a separate note, we made some recent changes to the web form to make it mobile friendly, and you're now able to expand the description box! The inability to expand the description box was a lively discussion earlier in this thread, so I wanted to let you know of the fix.