1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 12:11 PM by Toby Erkson Branched to a new discussion.

Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases

Hey everyone,

My name is Angie and I'm a Technical Support Program Manager for Tableau Support. I'm writing to let our users know that later this year we will no longer accept support cases via emails to
      support@tableau.com. We have found that customers who submit cases through our web form and customer portal get faster contact from our engineers because basic information is provided. If you have any feedback please let us know by posting below! We know this change will allow us to serve our users in a more timely and efficient manner, and we appreciate your patience.

Thank you,

Angie

• 1. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
          Shawn Wallwork

Hey Angie,

Please give us guidance on how we can easily 'report' a bug, or KB article corrections, or online manual correction, etc. All of the required fields are mostly irrelevant to these sorts of support cases. Asking us to completely fill out all required fields just to let you know of a mistake in your manuals will 'depress turnout'. I am very unlikely to fill in all those fields, just to let you know you've made a mistake.

Where should I (we) send in corrections? Bugs?

--Shawn

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is can we still send these sorts of issues to your support email? After all we aren't really looking for a response; we're just trying to alert you to an issue -- so we don't really care how long it takes you to respond.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases

Hi Shawn,

My apologies for the delay. Your post led to a great internal discussion!

We LOVE feedback for our website, kb articles, defects, etc. While we will be fully retiring support@, we want to keep it as easy as possible to provide this type of feedback.

Defects are best submitted through the web form since we need information like version, build #, etc to properly identify the defect.

However, for all other instances you mentioned, please use this email to send feedback: website-content@tableau.com

Another option is to provide feedback directly from a kb article, under “was this article helpful”? Both the above email address and article feedback are closely monitored by content owners, so these methods get your feedback directly to the right group.

This is a handy page, as well: http://www.tableau.com/having-trouble

Thank you for your feedback! We are still working out all of the specifics, and your feedback helps in that process.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
              Jonathan Drummey

Hi Angie,

This is a situation where support is trying to make life easier for support but it's making it harder for us to submit cases. I've got three issues with this change:

1) I agree w/Shawn that there are extraneous fields on the form for various types of cases, for example Impact is hard to quantify when I'm reporting an issue with the documentation.

2) The web form asks us to submit a build number but there's no way to easily copy the 20+ character build number from the splash screen.

3) The support site has a fundamental defect in that there's no way to attach files when initially submitting a case. I have to complete the form (and #2 I agree with Shawn that there are extraneous fields on the form for various types of cases) & submit the case, then open the case to attach workbooks & log files & screenshots. Composing an email to support (which is the way I've mostly created support cases) is a matter of typing in the email, copy/paste for screenshots, and one or more drag & drop operations to add the attachments. It's quite a bit easier than the current site. There should be a way to attach files on the initial form when I'm submitting the case.

4) (this is a minor grump) At least at a couple of points over the years I've downloaded a point (maintenance) release as soon as it's available and found an issue and the online form doesn't have the new version numbers. I hope the process has been changed to keep those up to date with the maintenance releases.

Jonathan

• 4. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                Gerardo Varela

To: support@tableausoftware.com

Subject: HELP!!

I can’t line graph! It’s broken!

Unfortunately, I fully understand you receive tons of emails like the above.

I understand the reasoning of using a web form. It’s easier to track problems, helps in triaging, helps in getting the basic questions answered to start an investigation into a problem. 

I am though against removing support requests via email.

Before submitting a bug to tableau I answer the following questions (Example for Tableau Desktop) :

Can I reproduce the bug?

Can I strip the workbook down to the fewest elements to reproduce the bug?

Can I reproduce the bug with an older version 9, 8, 7?

Can I reproduce the bug with the newest version? (I lag one version behind the most current version)

Can I reproduce the bug with a different data source?

Can I reproduce the bug on a different box?

Can I see anything in the log file?

Can I see anything in the verbose log file? (-DLogLevel=debug)

Can I see anything in the xml?

Is this a known issue?

Can I identify a workaround?

I answer all these questions and send them off to support with the relevant .twbx, logs, screenshots, information that is requested in the web form, and instructions on how to reproduce the bug of the via email.

I avoid the web form because I can’t copy paste screen shots, drag and drop a .twbx, and I can only attached three files.  The worst part is trying to write everything out in that tiny description box! That’s whole lot of scrolling! I also can’t just pick a category “other” or “I’m just reporting a bug“

Here is an example where I do the above in case number 02297604.

I say let's try to educate your customers on how to properly submit a bug rather than take away from them helping improve your product.

Regards,

Gerardo

• 5. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                  Toby Erkson

I agree w/Jonathan and Shawn.

Also, I hope this message gets out beyond a single forum post!  I was zipping quickly through in order to respond to a Forum post (which is NOT often!) when the below caught my eye:

If not for my Spidey reflexes I would've totally missed this   Please make sure you find other means to let the end user -- licensed users? -- know that this is happening.

• 6. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases

Thank you all for your feedback!

You make some great points, and we’re working on them! We rely on the information you provide on issues and we are very cognizant of keeping the overhead of doing that low.

Here is some additional information, that I didn’t specify in the original post

• We have not made any changes to support@ yet and do not expect to until December. The first phase that went live on 10/20 is an auto response “heads up” letting customers who use support@ know of the future change.
                    • We are looking at making multiple web form improvements, and your feedback is extremely helpful in this process!
                    • When you open a case via the web form or customer portal, you’ll get an automatic response via email, which includes the case number. You can send a reply to that email to provide additional information in email format and attach files. (this feature is coming soon)
                      • You can also use the case number to upload additional files for the case via existing means such as the customer portal or our alternate large file transfer tool (Egnyte).

We’re working with some of our UX gurus to make additional improvements, and we really appreciate your feedback. Hope to see you at TC!

• 7. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                      Shawn Wallwork

Angie, thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing the new portal UX.

Cheers,

--Shawn

• 8. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                        Shawn Wallwork

Of course here's another solution: 10.1 bugs - Public and Online issue?   - <verified issue >

All we need are two special tags or threads, one for 'Bugs' and one for 'Doc errors'. And we'll post to those threads. Advantage? Everyone gets to see the exchange. Think about it. To get this same information to the masses, someone would now have to do this:

1. Open up a case using the Customer Portal interface
                        2. Wait for a reply saying: "We are aware, we are working on it." (See screenshot above.)
                        3. Copy/paste this reply into a forum post with a full explanation of the originally reported issue.

[This assumes we skip the probable frontline response of: 'Can you provide a workbook and your logs?'] That's a lot of work to report a bug (or manual error) and then disseminate it to the rest of our community. Tableau, have you really thought this through? If it's that much work for us, we'll probably report fewer bugs/errors, or just find our own workaround and you can find/read them, or not.

Gettin' Conference Excited!

--Shawn

PS: Is there anything to do in Austin?

• 9. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                          Paul Chaney

I just had the same thing happen, Toby.  I saw it briefly and went to another page, then wanted to go back and see what it said...unable to find it for a while.  I don't contact support much at this point, but I'm all for anything that improves the overall UX, including means of getting help from the support team and the community here.  Whatever is done to make life easier and better for the customer is the "right" answer, in my opinion...this includes support being able to respond quickly and well to each request for help, as well as managing the data behind frequently identified bugs or UX improvements.

• 10. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                            Shawn Wallwork

OK, you've decided. You seem to have ignored our protests. So please stop rubbing this in our face and just take down this post from our forum header, and do what you always planned to do. This is no longer 'news', it's something you are simply going to do no matter what we say:

Enough already!

--Shawn

• 11. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                              Manideep Bhattacharyya

Dear Angie - If you have already taken a decision to de-commission the email response of Support then I can't help. But this was one of the Key differentiation of Tableau with others.

I am a Customers, Certified Developer and big fan of Tableau. I am NOT happy with this decision.

Hope Tableau is Listening.

Thanks,

Manideep

• 12. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                                Shawn Wallwork

Hi Angie,

I really don't want to beat a dead horse but here's a conversation I just had with the Tableau Beta team:

Please note how efficient this exchange turned out to be! No logs, no other irrelevant info, no need to submit a 'case'.

It was a simple submission with the needed information. The responder was able to recreate the issue (without asking for my logs, versions, etc.). And he was able to assure me that the issue I pointed out is being addressed.

This is exactly the exchange I expect, hope for each time I submit an issue!

Angie where do I go to get this sort of exchange in your 'new' support world? What email address do I send to, when I want this sort of exchange?

Thanks,

--Shawn

• 13. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases
                                  Tom W

If Tableau implemented the ability to raise a bug directly from Desktop / Server / Online environments, everyone's lives would be better. The product, build, OS etc could all be automatically populated, screenshots could be automatically attached along with logs and optionally, the workbook if we wanted to.

I personally find creating a ticket via the support portal to be cumbersome, to the point where I haven't bothered sending suggestions or bugs because I know it's more effort than I deem it to be worth. If I was a product manager and I heard these types of rumblings from my usergroup I would be livid that barriers exist between me and my users which is resulting in withheld feedback.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Tableau Technical Support is retiring email as a means to submit cases

Thank you for your feedback! We are listening to your feedback and evaluating our processes and products to incorporate your concerns. While we are moving forward with decommissioning email as a means to submit a case to Tech Support, we do take your concerns seriously and are looking to improve future versions of our products and make web form improvements to mitigate your concerns. 

I think it might help if I provide some numbers (after all, we are a data company ), as to why we are making this change. Currently, we average 10,000 cases a month and our average time to first response to customers is 4 hours longer on emailed cases versus cases from the web form. With an email, there is often a lot of back and forth between the customer and the technician just to get the required information needed to start the investigation of the issue. When technicians receive a case via the web form, they have basic information needed to do targeted research and reach out to our customers faster.

The web form does have 11 required fields, 3 of which can be auto filled by your browser if you choose (name, phone and email) and another 4 are auto filled if you use help from within Desktop (Help, Get Support, then “submit a case” under “Contact Support”).

As mentioned earlier, we will soon send a confirmation email when a case is submitted via the web form, which you can reply to and add attachments to your case if you prefer that over uploading attachments to the web form.

We are hoping to remove “build number” from the web form soon. Based on your feedback, we evaluated whether or not build number provides important information and determined that information is available through logs when it is needed.

We definitely heard you about reporting bugs, and we do not want to stop or suppress this type of feedback. We are actively working to improve the web form and our products to reduce the amount of manual effort needed on your part. I’m not able to share all of the improvements we are working on, but know that we are listening to your feedback and taking it seriously. Thank you for partnering with us! 

1 2 3 Previous Next