3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2016 6:19 AM by Stephen Crocker

Extracting Data from a TDE

Stephen Crocker

Is there a way to open a TDE so you can get the data out of it (Data Extracts)  We have a huge need to find this out. 

Can Python, Java, API something connect and extract the data?

• 1. Re: Extracting Data from a TDE
          David Li

Hi Stephen, you could copy it through Tableau and then paste it somewhere else (e.g. Excel or back into Tableau). I'm re-posting the solution from here:How To:  Export a large .tde file to Excel

1. Make a new viz and add the Number of Records measure only.
          2. Then choose to View Data from your viz, switch to the Underlying data, change the number of preview rows to show all the rows in your source, and make sure the Show All Columns is checked.
          3. Now just choose the Export All button and it will download all of your data to a .csv file, which you can then open in Excel.

Alternatively, you could open it using an XML editor and extract the data that way. A TDE is actually just an XML file. The same goes for a TWB, actually.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Extracting Data from a TDE
            Stephen Crocker

Ok, that would work but can you maybe help explain the XML file.  Here is a small example  I've changed the actual server information and table information but it will work for this.

I also need to try to reproduce this connection and when I try it, it's not working at all.  Any help would be appreciated greatly.

<datasources>

<datasource caption='<DatabaseName>' inline='true' name='sqlserver.41003.607494039352' version='8.1'>

<connection authentication='sqlserver' class='sqlserver' dbname='<DBName>' server='<ServerNAme' username='tableau' workgroup-auth-mode='prompt'>

<relation join='left' type='join'>

<clause type='join'>

<expression op='='>

<expression op='[activity_x_cme_teaching_method].[m06_m05_key]' />

<expression op='[Teaching methods].[m05_key]' />

</expression>

</clause>

<clause type='join'>

<expression op='='>

<expression op='[Activity Data].[x15_m31_key]' />

<expression op='[cme_activity_x_cme_teaching_method].[m06_m31_key]' />

</expression>

</clause>

<clause type='join'>

<expression op='='>

<expression op='[cme_gaps_outcomes_x_activity].[m85_m84_key]' />

<expression op='[Gaps and Outcomes].[m84_key]' />

</expression>

</clause>

• 3. Re: Extracting Data from a TDE
              Stephen Crocker

I know I'm replying to my own post but I found this if anyone is interested.

Defining a Tableau Data Source Programmatically | Tableau and Behold!

1 of 1 people found this helpful