We've experienced the same issue, going back to ~ July 2016. Our only resolution was to painfully reconfigure the dimensions of each legend, sometimes in ways that look wrong or even obscure other elements on a dashboard (withing the development environment and reader) in order for them to display correctly when embedded on a webpage. Most bizarre.
The most effective way was to remove the legend, start again (the default legend that pops in when selected for an element displays ok), and literally find the point in X and Y dimension where you could expect the legend to 'break' like this and result in a warped/zoomed-in display when embedded (only).
We've noticed the same issue on a few dashboards since upgrading Tableau Server from 9.3.4 to 10.0.1 (10000.16.0917.1429) 64-bit.
Also having the same problem. Very frustrating and can't figure out how to fix it. Has anyone from Tableau seen this?
I submitted a case to Tableau Support and received a solution that worked for us on 10.0.1. All I needed to do was edit the legend title and make it blank. That fixed the sizing.
I was told that this is a known issue (#553150) that is resolved with 10.0.2, but I don't see that issue listed on the known issues site. Known Issues | Tableau Software
Do you mean setting the legend title to 'hide' or editing the title and removing all text within (but keeping it displayed)?
If I hide the title now, the title is correctly hidden in the client. However, when uploaded, the title displays.
When I display the title (unchanged text), it correctly displays again in the client, but when uploaded, it doesn't show the title and the legend is again zoomed in and unusable.
This is on the latest version.
I'm going to try build again, to rule out a new viz vs. upgrading an old viz.
Yes, the key was to actually delete the text in the legend title. After doing that I didn't test whether hiding or showing the legend title made any difference, but with a blank title I think it makes sense to keep it hidden and maybe use a text object if a title is necessary.
I confirmed with Tableau that issue #553150 doesn't show on the Known Issues site but is recorded internally and fixed in 10.0.1.