1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 1, 2016 4:38 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

How to have Dynamic Prompt in Tableau

Amit Jha

Hi All,

I have a report in MicroStrategy which is based on MDX (SSAS ) Cube.Now the ask is to convert it in Tableau with all functionality intact .

Issue is Cube has very large data and Tableau fails with Timeout error even if I try  to fetch lowest level data.

We were able to solve the issue in MSTR by having a prompt for End User where User gets an option to select 1 or multiple End User and data for only those are fetched from DB ( as it goes in the where clause ) and it works fine.

But as per my Knowledge I have no idea of any such functionality in Tableau.

Kindly please help with a work around like parameter or anything that could help.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

• 1. Re: How to have Dynamic Prompt in Tableau
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Amit,

Any luck with this issue?  I am replying tot his thread to help bring it back to the top of the list again and to tag the post with a few relevant tags.  I do not believe there is a way to utilie a prompt in the way that a custom sql connection can be setup with a sql data source.  Is there anything possible on the cube side to limit data set to a manageable size as well? 

Patrick