14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2016 5:19 AM by Jonathan Drummey

Community Update: Ideas to be archived

Tracy Rodgers

Hi Tableau Community!

I wanted to let you know that in the next week or two, the Tableau Community team will be archiving ideas that have not had any activity (meaning no comments or votes on them) in the last 18 months. This is being done in an effort to keep the Ideas section more relevant by removing the stale ideas.

These ideas will be marked as "Archived," and though you will not be able to vote on them, they will still be searchable. If your idea is put into the "Archive" state, feel free to resubmit the idea by creating a new one.

This will be an ongoing maintenance that will be done once a quarter.

Let us know if you have any questions!

-Tracy

• 1. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
          john.christopher

Hi Tracy,

It is a welcoming step to archive ideas but window(time period) can be increased as every major update mostly happen in a six months period giving us more time to vote.The major release happen between March and Aug or April and Sep which is almost 5 months say (v9.3 to 10.0) .So my suggestion is to increase it to a half yearly period.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

JC

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
            Toby Erkson

John, I don't understand what you're saying, could you please re-phrase it?

• 3. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
              john.christopher

Hi Toby,

I have changed , hope that gives a clear picture.Thanks

Regards,

JC

• 4. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                Toby Erkson

Okay, I think I understand now, thanks.  You think they should have the review process every 6 months (twice a year).  However, I think the review process is not the same as the archive age criteria for an Idea.  From what I read is that any Idea over 18 months of age will be archived and this age check will occur every quarter.  Thus every quarter they will check the age of Ideas and any Idea that is over 18 months old will be archived.  This makes sense to me but Tracy can give the details if I'm wrong. 

The Tableau Community Team is involved with the community forums and are aware of what's going on -- unlike many other product companies they don't work in the community forums just as a "necessary evil".  They also know how important Ideas are to improving the Tableau suite of products so they are careful about what they take away; this is why Ideas (and other content) are archived instead of simply being deleted.

• 5. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                  john.christopher

HI Toby,

Thanks for pointing out the 18 month point.I guess it is more meaningful now.

Regards,

JC

• 6. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                    Tracy Rodgers

Hi John and Toby,

Exactly what Toby said. Our development team reviews the ideas on a much more regular basis, but we want to archive any of the ideas that people seemingly no longer seem interested in, so that we can continue to see the areas where they are.

It's a small piece of a much bigger puzzle, but one that I think moves the needle in the right direction for getting relevant feedback (to all parties: the Tableau dev team, community members, and our customers).

Thanks for the feedback!

-Tracy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                      Jonathan Drummey

I like this a lot!

Jonathan

• 8. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                        Shawn Wallwork

Tableau Community please add:

• Follows
                        • Shares
                        • Bookmarks

To your list of what constitutes recent 'activity'. All indicate a 'current' and/or 'continued' interest in a particular Idea remaining Active. Please let me know if that is not possible, and I will then go through and add comments to all the Ideas I want to protect from Archiving. My comment will be something like this:

"Please consider voting for this Idea, otherwise it might get Archived and removed from Active voting. Thank you."

If I understand your post, a comment like this will in fact 'protect' the idea from archiving for 18 months into the future, correct? Clicking 'Follow' or 'Bookmark' would be easier, but since I only have to do it every 18 months, copy/paste a comment isn't that much trouble.

Thanks,

--Shawn

PS: Asking us (the community) to recreate Archived Ideas, means these Ideas start over with a single vote. Shouldn't previous voting be reflected in the recreation? I understand you are trying to cull the list. Just please be careful of what and how you cull. In some cases no 'activity' for an Idea, makes more of a statement about the search engine than the popularity of the idea. Please don't confuse searchable activity, with interest/support.

• 9. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                          Tracy Rodgers

Hi Shawn,

All valid points.

It does not include likes, shares, or bookmarks. One thing to note, is that an idea with more than 100 ideas will not be Archived without first being given some reason as to why.

You are correct, if an idea does have a recent comment on it - it will not be set to "Archived." So by doing the above, you can "save" an idea. However, providing more context in the comment about why the idea is still relevant would be more useful.

If an idea is Archived and it is resubmitted, we can account for the previous votes by also including the original link.

And of course, there are exceptions to every rule. If there is an idea that should not have been marked as Archived, it's not set in stone. Just let us know and we can work together to make sure it is updated appropriately.

Thanks!

-Tracy

• 10. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                            Brad Earle

I agree again with Shawn Wallwork -- there should be a way for an idea to be 'refreshed' by the author so that it can receive more votes (or not).  As it stands, some ideas have been implemented or have acceptable workarounds.

Rather than just archiving on an arbitrary 18 month cycle, how about giving folks a chance to review their 'to-be' archived ideas?  Say, give them notice that in a month an idea will be archived unless it is 'refreshed' -- that is, some comment or change made to it.  And, if they'd rather, give them the option to archive their own (and suggest others) to be archived -- that way the community will send old ideas to archive (of course, once an idea has been tagged for possible archive, then still give the author a month to refresh it or archive it immediately on their own).

So, with the above implementation, instead of an arbitrary determination for archiving, there will be an active participation in archiving old posts.  Much better approach in my opinion.

• 11. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                              Shawn Wallwork

Well stated Brad!

--Shawn

• 12. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                                Rahul Upadhye

Great !!!

There are so many duplicate ideas.

Can you merge those votes? I believe vote counts should be unified.

• 13. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                                  Shawn Wallwork

I'm confused. It was my understanding that Ideas with no recent activity would be archived. Here's my most coveted Idea that has recent activity, and yet it has been archived:

What am I not understanding?

--Shawn

• 14. Re: Community Update: Ideas to be archived
                                    Jonathan Drummey

Is the last modified date marking when it was archived?

Sent from my iPhone