2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2016 2:27 PM by Dan Burrell

Filtering based on a minimum date of a record

Dan Burrell

Hi everyone

Been a tableau user for a while, just can't seem to get my head around the following problem.

I have a series of records that have an overarching customer number, that customer has many product so data looks like the following:

The products have a category based on independent logic ( its actual a location they bought the product characteristic )

CustomerProduct
      CategoryDate
      Header 5
      ABCD12345LunchBox12/03/2016
      ABCD67890DrinkBottle01/02/2016
      ABCD101112DrinkBottle12/06/2016

What I want to do is Identify the customer based on the Category is is their oldest or min(date)

So in the above case the customer would be in the DrinkBottle Category due to the date.

I want to represent that DrinkBottle applies to the customer as a whole.... using the minimum date.

How can I do this?

Workbook attached with dummy data

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Filtering based on a minimum date of a record
          Ivan Young

Hi Dan,

Check out the three calculated fields below.   I think one could work for you.

Regards,

Ivan

First Customer Event: {FIXED [Customer] : MIN(DATE) } = [Date]  - Drag to filters and select true, this will filter to the Min customer record and return the row below.

ABCD67890DrinkBottle01/02/2016

Alternately you could do something like this.

First Category: IF {FIXED [Customer] : MIN(DATE) } = [Date] THEN [Category] END - This will return 'DrinkBottle' for the row with date = 01/02/2016 and null for the other rows.

If you want to create a field that will populate all customer ABCD rows with 'DrinkBottle' then {FIXED [Customer] : MIN(First Category) }

• 2. Re: Filtering based on a minimum date of a record
            Dan Burrell

Excellent Ivan. I will give this a bit of a go and report back

Thank you!