8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 10:37 AM by berge.simonian

Pages Auto-axis

berge.simonian

So I'm really new to Tableau but have already been amazed at how easily I can make sense of my data in it. One thing that I'm trying to do is working for the most part, however I'm having a bit of a snag.

I'm trending a variable, for which I have 1-minute average data for a full year. I have the following setup:

• Columns: HOUR(Date-Time)
      • Rows: AVG(Variable X)

I'm getting a great plot of the full dataset and so what I am now trying to do is set up Pages so that I can pan through each day individually. I've created a MDY(Date-Time) under pages and, once again it's doing what it's supposed to and showing my data for each day and I can pan through. My issue is that when it creates the Page and only displays the selected day's data, my x-axis still maintains the same date range as the full data set. For example if I want to look at 2015-10-30 data, it shows just that data but in the full range of 2015-10-01 to 2016-10-01.

Is there some way that I can get it to auto-change the date range to only show the selected day as I pan through the pages??

I hope this makes sense; thanks!

• 1. Re: Pages Auto-axis
          berge.simonian

I guess I should probably show some screenshots; had to normalize the data for confidentiality

1-All.JPG

2-Oct30.JPG

• 2. Re: Pages Auto-axis
            berge.simonian

Bump. Anybody have any ideas on this p

• 3. Re: Pages Auto-axis
              Wesley Magee

Berge,

It looks like it's your HOUR(Date-Time) pill on your columns shelf that is formatted incorrectly. It looks like instead of hours, it's giving you days. Since you're using Pages to manage the day dimension you should only be showing hours as your columns. It looks like you have it keyed in correctly, so I would have to take a look at it to fix it. Ultimately the core of your problem is changing that pill to show hours and not days.

Let me know if you can share the workbook.

-Wesley

• 4. Re: Pages Auto-axis
                berge.simonian

Wesley,

Thanks for the response. I've attached the workbook that I can share as it doesn't have any confidential info and the data has been normalized. Once you figure out what the issue is, if you could let me know what the step-by-step fix is, I can implement it on my end on the master copy. One difference between the screenshots I posted and what I have attached, I actually want to see the Daily trend (Pages) showing per minute data, and so I changed the Columns to Minute instead of Hour.

Thanks again!

Berge

• 5. Re: Pages Auto-axis
                  Wesley Magee

Berge,

This should give you what you're looking for. The only thing I changed was the [Date-Time] to a date part instead of a date value. This is done by clicking the down arrow on the [Date-Time] pill and selecting the first "More" option, not the second.

Essentially we are telling it that we only want to see the hour (or minute) component of time. The way it was selected previously (showing a date value) encoded the month, day, year, and hour; but we only need the hour component. You can adjust this to show just minutes, just hours, or a combination of the two; whatever works best for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Wesley

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Pages Auto-axis
                    berge.simonian

Wesley,

Thanks, I did get that far and got it showing me the Minutes in that format. What that did, though, is add the scrollbar to the bottom and so then I chose to see the Entire View to show me the full day on one screen. Do you know of a way that I can remove the vertical bars for each hour? I know I can remove the header at the bottom and that's good for removing the randomly chosen minutes, but I want to be able to customize the spacing, for example a vertical line every 3 or 4 hours.

Capture.JPG

Thanks!

Berge

• 7. Re: Pages Auto-axis
                      Wesley Magee

Berge,

I can show you how to remove the bars, but you won't be able to customize them to show every 3 or 4 hours. Tableau doesn't allow that type of specified formatting. Instead, their formatting is based on the hierarchy of the data.

To remove the vertical bars:

1. Right click on the graph and select "Format..."
                      2. In the formatting window select "Format Borders". It looks like this
                      3. Lastly, you'll move the column divider level all the way to the left.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Pages Auto-axis
                        berge.simonian

Awesome! Thanks for all your help Wesley!