1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 3, 2016 10:14 PM by siyang.teo

Perfecting a map display with two different XY of two different geometry types

siyang.teo

Tableau requires a painfully strange hack to display two different sets of XY of the same table into a single map. They are supposed to be in the same rows as different columns but as a result of this limitation I have to union one XY within another XY field.

I did this and proceeded to create two different geometries (circular polygons and polylines) using dual axis.

However, for the lines, there is an extra 'dot' which is the result of the average of the xy coordinates that forms the two circles (see print screen).

Is there anyway to remove that so that only those which are true lines appear?

I can't filter the Null values that define lines as this will remove the 2 circles.

Have attached both the twbx and excel sample data source.

Thank you!

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Perfecting a map display with two different XY of two different geometry types
          siyang.teo

FYI, Emma from Tableau Support has came up with a reasonable 'hack' around this problem:

"""For this particular case, a workaround we can consider is to set the color of this single point to the same as the background, like black. Since there are no white and black in Tableau's built-in color palette, we should create a custom palette.

+Create a xml file with below content and save it as "Preferences.tps" under the directory: C:\Users\yourid\Documents\My Tableau Repository.

<?xml version='1.0'?>

<workbook>

<preferences>

<color-palette name="My Own Palette" type="ordered-sequential" >

<color>#FFFFFF</color>

<color>#000000</color>

</color-palette>

</preferences>

</workbook>

+Restart Tableau Desktop 10.0 to make the above tps file effect.

+In the set of marks for line, change SUM(count) from continuous to discrete then click "Color"-Edit Colors

+In the pop-up "Edit Colors[count]" window, select "My Own Palette" from the bottom of "Select Color Palette" drop down

+Click "Null" from the left panel, and select black from the right panel then click OK

+Now we can see that the point looks "disappeared"

+Click Null from the color legend of SUM(count) and select hide

Please see the attached workbook. It's not a good solution because we actually did not remove the point. Instead we just make it invisible. Actually we don't have a 'perfect' solution based on the current data source and view.

Hope it helps a bit. For more information about how to create a custom color palette, please see below article.

Create Custom Color Palettes

http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#formatting_create_custom_colors.html

"""