2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2016 5:32 AM by gene shackman

Actions and filters: different in Tableau public and professional?

gene shackman

I set up a map of New York state. My intent is that if you click on a county, a data table comes up for that county. I can do this on Tableau professional on my desktop. But when I do the same thing in Tableau public and upload to my public account, when you click on a county, the table that comes up has all the counties.

In particular, I start with a data table that has data for several variables for all counties in NY. This is sheet 1 (named tablesheet). Then I make another sheet, just with county, and make this into a map (named mapsheet). Then I start a dashboard, and drag just the data table sheet to this dashboard (named tabledashboard). Then I start another dashboard, and drag just the map sheet into this dashboard (named mapdashboard).

Then I go to the map dashboard, action / add action / filter.

Name (on top) change to <county>

On the source sheet, I use mapdashboard, mapsheet, and run action on “select”

On target sheets, I use tabledashboard, and tablesheets, and clearing the selection will exclude all values.

Target filters, use “select fields” and the data source and target field is county.

Result:

On Tableau professional, on my desktop, if I save this as a targeted workbook, and open that using tableau reader, it works fine. I click on one county and see the data table for one county. If I use Tableau open and follow the same steps, and save to my tableau public account, when I click on one county, the table for all the counties shows up.

As far as I can see, the action filters look the same. Is there a difference between tableau professional and tableau public? Do the filters work the same way? How do I get the filter on the website to work the same as the filter on my desktop?