2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 1:40 PM by Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Shapes in Pie Chart

Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Hi Everyone,

I have a pie chart for two years as below:

But, I am trying to incorporate shapes next to percentages that represents whether there was increase (green arrow up), decrease (red arrow down) or no change (grey rectangle) on right pie only. This is what it should be (not perfectly aligned with size of % though) :

Is it possible to do in Tableau at all and if so can you please help me on that. I was able to built arrows in excel first as below but still this is not the look I am looking for. I have tried to change dimension properties/shape to colored shapes, but still no luck. Any ideas then?

• 1. Re: Shapes in Pie Chart
          Vincent Baumel

I think there's a bigger design issue at the heart of this problem. Using multiple pie charts to show change over time is a bit like building a house with nails and a rock - sure it can be done, but it's tedious, frustrating, and definitely the wrong tool for the job. In pie charts beyond 4 or 5 wedges it becomes very difficult to visually perceive size differences. The simplest and most effective way to show something like this over time is going to be with a line graph. If you absolutely MUST use multiple pie charts, I imagine there's a way (in a hover tooltip, if nothing else) but I strongly advise against the pie chart method, for what it's worth.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Shapes in Pie Chart
            Sherzodbek Ibragimov

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for your notes regards this discussion. I, along with other Tableau community experts, agree that it is not a right chart type to use, but this is what I was requested to built. Originally, I asked in other discussion thread and Jonathan Drummey and Andrew Watson were able to answer my question and give a solution for it since I still needed the same look. Here is link to that discussion:Can I calculate a shape as an 'up' or 'down' arrow depending on a quick table calculation?