4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2018 10:04 AM by Nathan Anderson

Linking multiple Google Analytics properties with Tableau in a single query

aqua.lover

Dear all,

I am trying to create a Tableau report using the Google Analytics data I have.

Currently in my Google Analytics account, I have 3 properties (1 per application that I am tracking). I created one report that I use for all these properties.

What I would like to do now is reproduce this report in Tableau so that my users can go and see the data they need in a easier way than connecting to GA and switch between properties.

I was hoping to have a tableau report where you select the app (property) you want to see the report on and then it shows you what you need.

However, when linking Google Analytics with Tableau, I can only select one property. Is there a way to bypass this? Having multiple properties in one query? All come from the same account.

Thanks a lot

Best

• 1. Re: Linking multiple Google Analytics properties with Tableau in a single query
          Tharashasank Davuluru

Hi,

GA restricts the amount of data that it returns in a query. When you attempt to retrieve more data than GA allows in a single query, GA returns sampled data instead. If Tableau detects that your GA query might return sampled data, Tableau attempts to bypass the query restriction to return all data instead. For more information, see All Data vs. Sampled Data below. For more information about data sampling and the associated risks, see Sampled Data from Google Analytics in the Tableau Knowledge Base.

Regards,

Tharashasank

• 2. Re: Linking multiple Google Analytics properties with Tableau in a single query
            aqua.lover

Hi Tharashasank, thanks for this. However my question was not in terms of amount of data but more in terms of: how can I in one query get the data from multiple properties. I don't have a lot of data on each property so I doubt i'll have samples.

Thanks

Best

• 3. Re: Linking multiple Google Analytics properties with Tableau in a single query
              francesco.fincato.1

Hi there,

Any chance you solved out this issue in the end? I was looking around for something similar myself, but couldn't find anything helpful so far.

Thanks,

Francesco

• 4. Re: Linking multiple Google Analytics properties with Tableau in a single query
                Nathan Anderson

Hi all,

Since this issue isn't resolved yet, I thought I would post some additional questions:

To aqua.lover's question - It would be a thousand times easier if we could just get the raw data from google, with an additional column for 'property' rather than writing a query and re-building a dashboard every time.

Tableau and Google don't seem to work very well using the native features. Right now there seems to be two workarounds to connect google analytics to Tableau, and neither one of them is very user-friendly.They're both incredibly labor-intensive (having to reconnect data sources for every property and re-write your calculated field is very time-consuming when you're working with 100+ properties).

I'm going up and down this list and it's going to take me a full day just to get 10 or so properties into the dashboard, and any changes wont be scalable.

The first solution is to use the GA plugin in sheets. I've tried this, and unfortunately the automated reports in this process creates extra header columns with summary data that screws up the inputs in Tableau. It also doesn't specify which property you're working with so you have to input that manually on a daily basis.

The other is to query the data in Tableau itself, which is what I believe the original post was referring to. This creates an extract, and is probably a better way than the sheets method, but it takes an hour to build something out with one client.

To Tableau admins: is there any way to get the analytics data in raw format?

Is this something we need to talk to google about?

- Nate

1 of 1 people found this helpful