2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2016 10:19 PM by kbj3030

Server performance

kbj3030

Hi Guys,

Greetings!!

May I please know that how server performance is effected in Data Blending. If effected in which way and what are necessary steps to be taken to improve the performance.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Balaji

• 1. Re: Server performance
          Jeff Strauss

it's a pretty broad based question, but here are my thoughts.

- Are you asking about overall server performance?  If so, data blending is asking the server to do work, so I expect that CPU utilization will go up, though it should be minimal.

- If you append ?:record_performance=yes, then Tableau Server will show a button after rendering where it has recorded all the steps of rendering, and then you can analyze

- Basically if you are blending a primary and secondary, then it will run 3 queries, one for primary, one for secondary, and a 3rd that somehow merges the two.

- Depending on the size of the queries, the rendering time may be ok or could slow down

- Parallel queries, released as part of 9.0 will be at least partially turned off

- With Tableau 10, you can join datasources as part of the data connection window.  This is an alternative to data blending

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Server performance
            kbj3030

Thanks Jeff for investing time on this by giving your explanation. It was really helpful