3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 12:06 AM by Simon Runc

Dynamic Reference Line

Gregg Hirshberg

I'm trying to use a filter to change a reference line.

In the attached sample, what I'd like to do is be able to select a region and have that change the filter line, while keeping the sum the same. So I could select "Central" and see what the average cost for that region is.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Dynamic Reference Line
          Simon Runc

hi Gregg,

Do you mean like this?...see attached

So all I did was wrap your reference line formula in a FIXED LoD

{sum([Sales])/COUNTD([Region])}

as FIXED LoDs aren't affected by regular filters, if you change the filter the reference line stays the same. I may have this the wrong way round!, but if I have change your Reference Line formula back, and then wrap your Sale measure in the {}...that way the reference line will move and not the bar!

Hope that makes sense, but please post back if not.

• 2. Re: Dynamic Reference Line
            Gregg Hirshberg

Thanks, but not exactly. I want the axis to remain the same, so in this case, 0 - 2.2M and the reference line would be dependent on which Region was selected. So if the user selects Central, the reference line would move to .50m.

• 3. Re: Dynamic Reference Line
              Simon Runc

Hi Gregg,

So nearly there! & the general my method is the same. If you create the LoD on Sales, so {SUM([Sales])}, and bring this onto the detail shelf, so you have access to it as a reference line.

Then set up a reference line, with this field, and set the label & line to none (essentially making it invisible). Now when you change the filter, the invisible reference line will ensure the axis remains between 0 & 2.2M

Hopefully that'll do the trick

Sent from my iPhone