2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2016 6:00 PM by Santiago Sanchez

Labels are unclear while overlapping.

Maheshh C K

Dear Team,

I have a requirement to show the labels clearly when they overlap.

Input:

Entity

Horizontal Score

Vertical Score

E1

E2

E3

E4

E5

Here I tried using a labelling across horizontal & vertical scores. E2 & E3 overlap on the same score.

I tried to show the overlapped entity but the label is overwritten completely in unreadable format.

See the attached workbook.

Also on a separate note, when I hover the mouse, we are getting only E2 label.

Kindly let me know how to show both the E2 & E3 labels.

Thanks

Maheshh

• 1. Re: Labels are unclear while overlapping.
          Jennifer Lynch

Hi

I found the answer to the label half of the question.

If you click on the Label box in the Marks card it will pull up an option box that will allow you to make the following change.

"Label" in the "Marks" section and uncheck "Allow labels to overlap other marks" checkbox.

It still does not resolve the issue of not seeing the E3 because it is on the same point as the E2 mark.

• 2. Re: Labels are unclear while overlapping.
            Santiago Sanchez

Jennifer is on point! The 2 marks are on the exact same coordinates, which makes them overlap one on top of the other. This creates the effect you describe when you hover over them with your mouse, you're really only selecting the mark on top.

You could adjust the coordinates slightly with a couple of calculated fields. If you do that, the marks are not in their original position, but you can see them separetly. It just depens on what's more important: seeing the marks on the exact position, or seeing that there's 2 of them. See attached, there are comments on the calculated fields.

Coordinates.png