3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 6:49 AM by Marshall Mills

Changing The Color Palette Changes The Behavior

Marshall Mills

While working through the "Get Started with Tableau Desktop" tutorial, I came across some unexpected behavior.

I'm trying to figure out if the behavior is a bug or not.

Around step 4 and 5 a heat map of profit is created.  The automatic color palette is used, and everything looks good.

Actual Behavior

• Orange-Blue Diverging colors are used to show negative to positive profits.
      • Initially all states are showing profits, and all states are colored blue.
      • Selecting the sub-categories that negatively impact profit starts to show orange on the map.
        I.e. Binders, Machines, and Tables.
      • The Profit legend correctly shows the current range of profits depending upon what's filtered.
        The text displayed shows the min/max profits.
        Orange is used only for negative profit values.

The tutorial mentions editing colors.  So I did.  And then things went South.  I changed the color palette from Automatic to "Orange-Blue Diverging".

Expected Behavior

• Same as above; just using the diverging colors selected.

Actual Behavior

• Orange-Blue Diverging colors are now used to show the range of minimum to maximum profits.
      • Initially all states are showing profits, but most of the states are showing orange.
      • Selecting binders, machines, and tables does change the color.
      • The Profit legend correctly shows the current range of profits depending upon what's filtered.
        The text displayed shows the min/max profits.  This is as expected.
        Orange is now being used for the minimum profit range.  Even if the minimum is a positive value.

https://public.tableau.com/static/images/Ca/CarefulWithYourColors/CarefulWithYourColors/1.png

I can edit the Orange-Blue Diverging palette settings for profit and get close to the original behavior used by the Automatic palette.  But never exactly.