3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 10:02 PM by Swati Mandal

How to show the column definitions used in a dashboard

Jenny Sanders

Hi All,

I am working on a requirement to show the business glossary terms of the columns/fields being used in a particular dashboard. I have an excel spreadsheet with all the business definitions. I was able to connect to the business definitions by using a new connection which points to my Excel data source.

The problem I am facing is trying to make a link between the column names and their definitions.  I have used Sample-superstore data for creating a mockup of my requirement. In one sheet I have shown customers that have highest sales and the next sheet contains column definitions.

Is there any way that a user can hover/highlight on a label (suppose category to see the definition) and it will direct it to the business glossary page?

I have attached the mockup workbook.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to show the column definitions used in a dashboard
          Swati Mandal

Hi Jenny,

You can achieve it in two ways, whichever way suits you.

1) you can load the excel in Tableau and then put the Fields dimension in column and Definition dimension in row shelves and change into cross tab from show me ( the first option )

2) Or when you go to dashboard you have text box object. double click on that and copy paste whatever you want to define there. You can format the text from the Text box.

Let me know which one works for you.

Regards,

Swati Mandal

• 2. Re: How to show the column definitions used in a dashboard
            Jenny Sanders

Hi Swati,

Thank you for your response !

I already have the column /data definitions/business glossary as a cross tab in a separate sheet in the workbook I provided. What I am trying to figure out is how to link a particular field name from the first sheet to it's corresponding definitions in the second sheet.

And I don't think the second option would work because I have a huge business glossary which I can't copy paste in a dashboard.

Hope this helps!

Thanks !

• 3. Re: How to show the column definitions used in a dashboard
              Swati Mandal

Ok Jenny,

Got your point. You can go for actions then.

Steps:

1) Go to Dashboard in Menu bar

2) Select Action

3) Create a Filter Action or a Highlight Action

You already have a cross tab, link your dashboard to the cross tab action and whenever you click on the column you will get to see the defination