3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 1:36 AM by Manuel Gruber

4 (tricky) Formatting Problems

Manuel Gruber

Hi Guys,

I already searched for an answer for my 3 tricky formatting problems.

Probably they are easy to solve but I couldn´t come up with a solution.

I made an easy example (see attached WB and pictures), which shows the problems I am facing.

Problem one:

Picture1.JPG

"Department" is the first in my columns.

What I did now is, I hid the header of the Date and made a color legend instead.

The only thing I want is that the department is displayed at the bottom of the graph, but it only does that when I change the order in the columns section (which doesnt make sense in this case)

Any suggestions?

Problem two:

I want to move the bars within a "Department" section closer together, so a little GAP between the departments should occur. Basically I want to get rid of the borders, but as it is right now its kind of confusing.

Problem three:

Picture2.JPG

This picture contains two different tables. In this case I could have put the measures into one table, but in my case of application I had to divide them into two seperate tables.

When using two tables on a dashboard side by side this little gap occurs. How can I get rid of it?

Problem four:

Picture3.JPG

Lets say I have a table like this (see dashboard 2). Both Sheets contain the same Dimensions.

If I use "Entire View" and then put it it the dashboard why doesn´t tableau adjust the sheet on the dashboard so everything is displayed adjusted.

I hope this is not to confusing. In sheet 4 I get rid of the "abc" column by just extending the second column to the outmost border

Thanks a lot in advance!

MG

• 1. Re: 4 (tricky) Formatting Problems
          Swati Mandal

Hi Manuel,

Please find answers to your problems.

Problem 3:  Please find the attachment. I have joined both the tables. Just make it floating in the dashborad and join it. To make it floating you have to go to drill down and do it.

Problem 2: I have reduced the gap and left a tiny gap between the different department. T have used size marks to do that

Problem 4: Do standard and then manually drag the report to fit your choice. That will be more apt.

To remove Abc perform the following steps.

1. Go to Category and uncheck Show Header

2. Take Category and drop on Text/Label mark

3. Move Measure Name (last field under dimension)  and drop it on top of the column where the header should be there

4. Type category using the keyboard

You will be left with two columns

Problem 1: I have not tried to do this. I will get back if I get to do any trick on that to change it,

However, find the link below which helps to change a header from top to bottom.

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/moving-headers          

Regards,

Swati Mandal

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 4 (tricky) Formatting Problems
            Manuel Gruber

Hey thanks for your answer!

It helped me with problem 2 & 3 but it didn´t fix 1 & 2.

The link you´ve sent does it excactly the other way around from how I want it to work.

About problem two: The solution should look more like this

Picture4.JPG

So the countries are grouped and in between different countries there is a bigger gap.

Thanks so far!

MG

• 3. Re: 4 (tricky) Formatting Problems
              Manuel Gruber

This Link helped me with Problem two

Creating a Grouped Bar Chart | Tableau Software

Any suggestions for moving the header from Up to down?

1 of 1 people found this helpful