1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 13, 2016 4:43 PM by Patrick A Van Der Hyde

YOY / YTD but with a twist

Courtney Young

I'm trying to show YOY metrics that are YTD over multiple years; however, it's proving to be more complicated due to events having order dates in multiple years.

For instance, if I want to show where we are in unit sales today and compare it to where we were August 30 in 2015 and in 2014, I can't just ignore the subsequent days because those days could include order dates for other events. 

I need to show this across multiple views in a report, so a type of filter would be ideal. 

I've attached an example to reference.  On the tab labeled 'ACS', you'll see what I'm talking about as far as order dates spanning over multiple years.  There can be order dates in 2014 and in 2015 for an event in 2015, so I cannot exclude the rest of 2016 to get an apples-to-apples comparison (if it means I'd be excluding the same days from 2015 and 2014).

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it...and please let me know if further clarification is needed.

Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: YOY / YTD but with a twist
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Courtney,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing challenges with Y over Y and YTD calcs in Tableau.  I have reviewed the attached workbook and see that for each Event, there are potentially, several orders dates.  There are not other values at the level of Order date as well. 

Is the desire to bucket together the yearly sales by order date then?  if you bucket by Event Date as is done in "All Dates" then the order date information is lost/ignored.  It sounds like this is an issue but for some reason, the use of Order Date is not an option. 

could you share a few more details about this setup and how/what limits Order Date from just replacing Event Date in the views? 

Thank you

patrick