3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2016 9:52 AM by Michael Hesser

Does anyone have ideas for removing white space from a worksheet?

Dan Armstrong

Hi there.  The folks I'm working for have asked me to come up with a way to get rid of a lot of white space in a worksheet.

I wanted to post the workbook but the data is proprietary. Spent a while trying to duplicate the sheet with dummy data, but eventually gave up. The screen shot below with whimsically named aliases will have to do. It's more of a design question anyway (at least I think it is).

The issue is that I have a lot of text fields, and each row in the categories on the right I need to show many indicators (the bars). Wish I could stack them horizontally below each text row on the left, maybe replace them with some other kind of mark that doesn't require so much room, but this isn't Excel we're dealing with here.

I'm wondering if anyone has run up against this and has a solution. Personally I don't think it's a big problem -- I don't mind white space -- but my internal clients (who do think in Excel terms) constantly bring it up. And I want them to be happy.

Thanks for any advice.

Dan

• 1. Re: Does anyone have ideas for removing white space from a worksheet?
          Michael Hesser

Hi Dan;

It looks like [Justification] is taking up a lot of your real estate.

Have you considered changing this from a statically-displayed dimension to a dynamically-displayed Tooltip pop-up based on [Description]?

This might give you more room for the facts & figures.

You could also use a dashboard action and display the Justification along the top or the bottom:

Hopefully this will give you some food for thought.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does anyone have ideas for removing white space from a worksheet?
            Dan Armstrong

It is good food for thought indeed, Michael. The dashboard action displaying my four left-most text field(s) at the top (not quite what you're suggesting, but hopefully it is possible) looks like a breakthrough. I didn't realize Tableau could do this. Now to figure out the mechanics of how it is done.  I am off to the races.

Thank you, Michael.

Dan

• 3. Re: Does anyone have ideas for removing white space from a worksheet?
              Michael Hesser

Hello Dan...

Based on the image you provided, [Description] and [Justification] have a 1:1 relationship; however [Description] to [Cont] and [System] have a 1:many relationship, which means it will be more tricky to display them at the top.

So... let's see if I can walk you through how to do this with [Justification] and you can see if you like it!

Start with your primary viz. You can hide [Justification] -- or just move it into the Tooltip.

Now create a secondary viz that is just [Description] and [Justification].

Drop both onto a new dashboard, with the secondary viz on top of the primary.

Create a dashboard action for the primary viz:

• Add Action --> Filter
              • Source sheet = primary viz
              • Target sheet = secondary viz
              • Run action of HOVER (single select only)
              • Clearing filter will Exclude all items
              • Under Target Filter, user select [Description]

Now, hovering over any part of your lower viz should fill in the [Justification] on top.

To make your sheet a little more user-friendly, you might try these:

• Add a dashboard action HIGHLIGHTING on hover the primary viz by [Detail]. This lets the user know what the [Justification] box is being applied to.
              • Take advantage of row & column banding: when you DO have more than one relationship per [Detail] (as in your top 20 lines), the user knows these are in two distinct groups.

Please let me know if you'd like to see a working example! Good luck!