4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2016 7:38 AM by Joe Oppelt

Create a row separator in the worksheet output

bobby.yee

I'm looking to create a row separator line in the worksheet output.

In the attached workbook example, I want to create two rows in the crosstab output separating the Numbers and Letters of the alphabet.  The names of the two rows will be "Numbers" and "Letters" respectively:

sample.png

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Create a row separator in the worksheet output
          David Li

Hi Bobby, I couldn't seem to open your packaged workbook, but have you tried creating a group by right-clicking the Result field and clicking on Create > Group? You can group the numbers together and the letters together. Then, you can put that new group to the left of the Result pill to get the breakdown you want. After that, it's just a matter of moving the slider for row borders until you get the border you want.

• 2. Re: Create a row separator in the worksheet output
            Joe Oppelt

Note to self:  V10.0 workbook.

So see the attached.  I can conditionally add stuff to the text, but each mark is actually going to occupy the same space.

The [Extra line] actually has a carriage return in the middle of the quoted text.  The logic in there detects when I am on a line that is no longer a numeric line, and also that the prior line WAS all numeric characters.  I don't know what condition you will actually have in your real data, but the LOOKUP function is what you use to know what came before your current line.

But here's the rub.  It's not adding a whole "row" of break before the data for the first Alpha row.  It's just pushing down the 1 to fit the other stuff in there.

If you want a whole row of break, you'll have to hack up something else.  (Which I have ideas for, but first let's see what this approach does for you.)

• 3. Re: Create a row separator in the worksheet output
              bobby.yee

Thanks Joe.

My intent is to have an entirely separate row break for purely cosmetic purposes.  My real data variable is built in a hierarchy structure, so I ran into duplicate columns of output results when I tried creating groups on my end.

• 4. Re: Create a row separator in the worksheet output
                Joe Oppelt

I wonder if the concept of panel charts would serve your needs.

Google "Tableau Panel Chart" and you'll get lots of examples.

Here is one such link:

https://interworks.co.uk/blog/panel-charts-in-tableau/

Usually the examples show 50 little charts, one for each state, but maybe you could adapt the concept to your chunks of data.