9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2016 1:21 PM by gene shackman

maps linking to tables linking to charts

gene shackman

We have some tables on the web that we are looking to make into dashboards. Starting with a map here

County Health Indicators by Race/Ethnicity (CHIRE)

County Health Indicators by Race/Ethnicity (CHIRE)

Each county then links to a data table for the county, for example here is Albany

Albany County Health Indicators by Race/Ethnicity, 2011-2013

We are thinking then of having each indicator link to another set of charts, for example, a chart showing the data for that indicator.

Can Tableau do that? Have maps with links to tables that link to charts?

Part two: would I have to manually create a table for each county and then charts for each indicator in the tables? Can Tableau do that in some way automatically?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
          Kathryn Bridges

Hi Gene!

Yes, Tableau is great about linking to different charts/tables. I'm thinking of two ways that may be helpful:

If you want to recreate the tables/charts in Tableau (as shown in Superstore, you won't have to manually do this for each County, or City. You'll just have to have County or City as a detail on your chart and Tableau will filter for you depending on the selection), you can do something similar to what is shown in the attached; Allow users to select state(s), show the corresponding cities, and then once they click on a city, show the corresponding chart.

Alternatively, If you just want to show the map in Tableau and have it link to a particular web page, what you'll want to do is create a "URL" field for the site you want it to go to when a person clicks on that state. Once this field is completed, add your map sheet to a Dashboard, click the Dashboard menu, then actions, then "URL Action". In the bottom text box, click on the little arrow to the right and select your "URL" field. Now, whenever someone clicks on a state, it will take them to the site you told it to. If the site has a deeplink (i.e. www.data.com/089<state>stats) then it will be much easier as you won't have to put in manual URLs for each state.

It may be best to show the first two steps in Tableau, and then route people to another website for all the indicators.

Hope that makes sense!

Katie

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
            gene shackman

Thanks very much for the guide so far. Question, "create a "URL" field for the site". How do I do that?

• 3. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
              Kathryn Bridges

Hi Gene,

So, in the example you gave above for Albany, NY statistics, I would assume you have County as a field in your initial dataset.

What you would then do is right click on County, click "Create Calculated Field", name the field "URL" or something else that makes sense to you, and type something like the following:

If [State]=NY then "www.health.ny.goc/statistics/community/minority/county/"+[County]+".htm". This field would then refer to the necessary site for each County.

• 4. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
                gene shackman

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to study the calculated field. It's not quite working, so I'll have to study to see what exactly to type in.

Thanks

• 5. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
                  Kathryn Bridges

Hi Gene,

Sorry, looks like I got a little lazy in my syntax-

the Calculated Field would actually be more like:

If [State]=NY then "www.health.ny.gov/statistics/community/minority/county/"+[County]+".htm". else null end.

You'll just want to break the URL apart so you can insert the County name, and then concatenate them all back together. If the above URL also had the state interchangeable, you could do something like,

"www.health."+[State]+".gov/statistics/community/minority/county/"+[County]+".htm".

Good luck!

• 6. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
                    gene shackman

I'm sorry to say this still produced an error. The box says  "The calculation contains errors" and when I click on the down arrow, it says "Error parsing number" and points to the period after htm

Maybe I'm not copying right. This is the template, I guess.

If [State]=NY then "www.health.ny.gov/statistics/community/minority/county/"+[County]+".htm". else null end.

What would a calculated field with a county in it look like? Also, I don't think I have a state field, so state=ny would never happen. Should I add in a "state" field, all of which should = NY?

Thanks

Gene

• 7. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
                      gene shackman

Hi Katie

Thanks for your help before. I think linking to the url may not be what I wanted, so I'd like to ask more about this way:

"You'll just have to have County or City as a detail on your chart and Tableau will filter for you depending on the selection), you can do something similar to what is shown in the attached; Allow users to select state(s), show the corresponding cities, and then once they click on a city, show the corresponding chart."

Would you know if there are on line resources about how to do this? What keywords would I look up. My data set is a little more complicated, so I may need to learn some more about how to do this.

Thanks

• 8. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
                        Kathryn Bridges

Hi Gene,

Doing this will mostly just require Tableau actions. Some links to this are:

Paint By Numbers: A Rough Guide to Tableau Dashboard Actions

Actions

Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: maps linking to tables linking to charts
                          gene shackman

Thanks. Actions seem useful.