3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 10:10 AM by Joe Oppelt

Splitting single column into two Columns and use for filtering

chakradhar kakani

Hello Tableau People,

I have small use case scenario where i'm running into data issues i have one column and i have used IF condition and divided the column into two columns, and i'm trying to use the two drop-downs for filtering purposes..if I select VALUE 1 from one drop data gets filtered on on Product and if I select VALUE 2 from another dropdown of product the dashboard goes blank. because it is writing a SQL behind the scenes  ' SELECT VALUE 1 AND VALUE 2' is there any way to return the data using 'OR' condition by selecting both the values in the dropdown. Attached sample workbook

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Splitting single column into two Columns and use for filtering
          Joe Oppelt

You'll have to upload a twbX file.  Not a twb file.  We can't open twb files.

But yes, you are right.  Two filters work together as "AND" conditions.

Question:  Will you always only be selecting single values from each filter?  If single values only, you might be able to have two PARAMETERs instead of filters, and then write your own calc that looks like this:

IF [Dimension Part 1] = [Parameter 1] or [Dimension Part 2] = [Parameter 2] then 1 else 0 END

Put that on the filter shelf and select for value = 1.

• 2. Re: Splitting single column into two Columns and use for filtering
            chakradhar kakani

Sorry about that Joe Oppelt. Thanks a lot for the reply. This perfectly works but another problem i run into is i use a live connection to HP Vertica and i have to update the parameter list values everyday... so if we add the list from the field will the list automatically get updated?? I think it doesn't get updated ..is there any other for the automatic population of the list.

Please assist. This time i have attached the twbx.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Splitting single column into two Columns and use for filtering
              Joe Oppelt

(Note to self:  V9.2 workbook)

Dynamic loading of parameters is on the wishlist.

You can upvote it here:

https://community.tableau.com/ideas/1178

(Of course, you can see that there is a lot of interest for this already, and Tableau is working on this.)

In the attached I hacked up an idea that you can consider.  I made copies of most of the stuff you already had, and just used it differently in Sheet 2.

You'll probably want to so some handling for NULL, but that's just window dressing.  I threw some extra sheets on the dashboard so I can see what's actually in the database and what I should expect to see in the results of Sheet 2.  And rather than have parameter with specific values, I did a type-in.  With sheets that list valid values, users can know what they should be typing.

I know it's not a complete solution, but maybe it's good enough to get you past this issue with the user.