5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 11:05 AM by Shivraj Rathore

Export to PPT

Shivraj Rathore

Hi All,

I have a tableau dashboard hosted on the Tableau server .

Now when the user logs in they changes some filter in the dashboard and export it to the image . Now I need to export that image into the PPT.

Is there a way to do that ?

If you analyze the request trace for the image export in the browser , you can see that Tableau server make a post request to the Tableau cmd to generate the image , the url used in the tableau cmd is like

https://public.tableau.com/vizql/w/DomesticViolenceinSpain/v/DomesticViolenceinSpain/sessions/9F6BE956ADDF4C3CBCB8F70EAC…     . The URL used here is pointing to a particular view /workbook not sure how parameters related to filters are passed to tableau cmd to generate the image.

Can someone throw some light on it ?

Thanks

Shivraj

• 1. Re: Export to PPT
          Derrick Austin

Hey Shivraj,

You can grab your list of images with tabcmd instead of using the longer backend url that vizql references. Then, combine these using the Microsoft Interopt libraries (or, I've seen Python libraries that also work)

When you do this, you can simply pass in the filters using url parameters (Filtering Views using URL Parameters | Tableau Software )

Here is a blog I wrote on the subject, using PowerShell: https://www.interworks.com/blog/daustin/2015/10/23/exporting-tableau-dashboards-powerpoint

It walks through the steps and has an example script.

Hope this helps!

- Derrick

• 2. Re: Export to PPT
            Nathan Panuco

Hi Shivraj!

I'm having trouble understanding your use-case. Are you trying to programmatically export the images and have them update in a Power Point Presentation or are you asking how to import an image into Power Point itself? That URL is not "reusable" and can't be used to embed anything since it contains session information (the long number after the "/sessions/" ) which is not permanent. Tabcmd can be used to export images - here's a link to the commands: tabcmd Commands and then it could be imported to Power Point from there. You could also try embedding the view (Embed Views into Webpages) and using filters to control what is seen (Filtering Views using URL Parameters | Tableau Software)

Thanks and hope this helps!

• 3. Re: Export to PPT
              Shivraj Rathore

Hi Derrick,

Many thanks , Let me explains in more details

1. User logs in to the dashboard say Domestic Violence in Spain | Tableau Public  and say selects any location from the map, now due to this selection the entire view will change and there is no change in the URL

2. Now he/She clicks on the "Download to Image" option . This exported image contains the current view respecting the selection we did in first step

In the same way I want to provide one more export option , Download to ppt to the user . And in this option, I want to export the current view's image into the ppt . My thought was to make use of tableau cmd to export the image ( like it is done by tableau) and then programatically paste that image into ppt through a custom code or as you suggested microsoft libraries.

So can you suggest me how to make use of tableau cmd to export the current view ?

Thanks

Shivraj

• 4. Re: Export to PPT
                Shivraj Rathore

Hi Nathan,

Many thanks, so this is what I wants to do

1. User logs in to the dashboard say Domestic Violence in Spain | Tableau Public  and say selects any location from the map, now due to this selection the entire view will change and there is no change in the URL

2. Now he/She clicks on the "Download to Image" option . This exported image contains the current view respecting the selection we did in first step

In the same way I want to provide one more export option , Download to ppt to the user . And in this option, I want to export the current view's image into the ppt . My thought was to make use of tableau cmd to export the image ( like it is done by tableau) and then programatically paste that image into ppt through a custom code or as you suggested microsoft libraries.

So can you suggest me how to make use of tableau cmd to export the current view ?

Thanks

Shivraj

• 5. Re: Export to PPT
                  Shivraj Rathore

Hi Derrick,

Is my question clear ? Can you help ?

Thanks

Shivraj