I haven't done this but here's how a general workflow would look like in TABCMD:
1. Refresh extract from TABCMD (tabcmd refreshextracts datasource-name)
2. Export visualization published on server as a csv, save locally. This viz displays the list of users and is connected to the extract above (tabcmd export "Project/VizURL" --csv -f "User-List.csv")
3. Loop over the contents of the CSV to get a list of recepients. For this you just rely on the command line, for example: How do you loop through each line in a text file using a windows batch file? - Stack Overflow
4. Send the e-mail with any content you need. Similar to what you already saw here: Tabcmd Examples | Tableau Software
These 4 instructions will be inside a batch (.bat) file that you can run on demand or on windows scheduler.
You may also want to look at Tableau Tools if you are familiar with python: tableau_tools.tableau_rest_api sub-package guide | Tableau and Behold!
john liptak wrote:
I have a specific requirement to send out emails to our tableau users. I've read through some of the threads here about tableau's ability to email reports by using TABCMD together with command line email tools but none of that seems to fit what I am trying to achieve. So I thought that I would start a new thread with my specific requirement. Here is what I want to achieve
1) A Tableau Extract will be scheduled to return data and produce a dashboard. This extract comes from an Oracle DB and contains the email addresses of users....
Extracts cannot produce dashboards, workbooks, nor views. They are simply the source of data for those objects. So the first order is having a dashboard that is on a schedule and that it will consume the extract.
The rest of the requirements sound easy enough using a VizAlert. I would recommend asking this question in that forum, assuming you're willing to install the necessary bits on a Tableau Server.