9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2017 7:32 AM by Boopesh Jayabalaji

city list

Boopesh Jayabalaji

Hi ,

Can some help with a City/ Region / Federal District List that tableau would recognize.

Thanks

Boopesh

• 1. Re: city list
          Steve Burger

Boopesh,

Could you elaborate on your request / question and maybe post a packaged workbook with some attempt at resolution? That allows other forum members to work examples and post them back for your (and others) review.

There are many ways to identify areas/regions/cities/etc that Tableau might not automatically identify as a Geo-spatial data type or value.  It really depends on what you are trying to do.

Thanks,

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Advisor.

• 2. Re: city list
            Boopesh Jayabalaji

Hi Steve,

My request is

Need a list of location hierarchy country-district-region-City which is used in Tableau. For example when i map my data as geo -> region i some times get an error mentioning 18 unknown regions or cities. They are either spelling mistake or diffference in character. So wouldnt it be good if i can get the list of places tableau has in its application to avoid me having to edit location every time.

Regards

Boopesh

• 3. Re: city list
              Yuriy Gavrilov

Also .. About what kind of city list you talk? Some countries or etc.

• 4. Re: city list
                Boopesh Jayabalaji

I am currently focusing on Russia. But will also be requiring the whole list in the future.

• 5. Re: city list
                  Steve Burger

Boopesh,

Without seeing your data, I can only take an educated guess.

If you examine the 18 unknown by clicking on the 'unknown' tab, you can correct spelling mistakes, etc.  Sometimes Tableau will offer up the next closest example it thinks might be the correct value.  Failing that, you can enter latitude and longitude for the location in question.

This link explains further and provides another link to postal codes recognized by Tableau

Prepare Your Geographic Fields..

If this is helpful or answers your question, please mark it as such so that others can find the answer quickly and easily.

Best Regards,

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Advisor

• 6. Re: city list
                    Boopesh Jayabalaji

Thanks Steve., You were close to what i am expecting.

I Checked the links you have asked me to refer. Sorry if I am not explaining the requirement clearly. But to make my Question a little more clear..

Steps i followed are :

1) Have a list of cities/Region with me.

2) When adding them to the map I get 18 locations unknown.

3) When checking the edit locations , I get the below screen.

4) So what I am to do now is select the correct matching locations that are available in the list.

5) So here my question is : "Is there any place where i can get the list that is provided in the matching location. So that i can maintain my data in that format. which would eliminate the task of mapping it every single time."

Edit locations.PNG

Regards,

Boopesh

• 7. Re: city list
                      Egor Larin

Hi Boopesh Jayabalaji

You can try to open some files from that folder:
                      C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 10.0\Local\data\GEOCODING.fdb

Format of the file is Firebird DB. I hope you will find the way to open it

Also you may open one of the *.tds files in the same folder. That will give you opportunity to see the data in Tableau format (they are tableau data source files)

And if you go to change the Data Source you will see all tables and can perform your own joins to understand City and Region (State) names. It should contain the Names of States on different locales (languages). Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server use that file to store geo objects and then show them on the view with generated Long and Lat. Then you can identify internal name of Russian States to match them in your data.

Regarding Federal Districts.

Tableau doesn't have shapes for these geo polygons.

But using new Tableau 10 feature - Custom Territories - you can combine (group) Regions shapes to Districts to have real district shape.

Build your own custom territories in Tableau 10 | Tableau Software

Hope that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: city list
                        Egor Larin

Hey Boopesh Jayabalaji

Is there any chance that you can check my solution and tell if it works for you?

BR,

Egor

• 9. Re: city list
                          Boopesh Jayabalaji

Thanks a lot Egor Larin , Appreciate your help.. Currently I moved out of that scope for checking. But will keep you posted once i check that.

Thanks again.