1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2019 9:55 PM by Mark Wu Go to original post Branched to a new discussion.
      • 30. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
        Dillon Scaduto

Here is a snippit from my personal tutorial.

==========================================================

Make Backups of All Filles before changing anything.

These files are in: ~~\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.2\vizportalclient\public

vizportal.js

Search for this line and change it:

ServerBlue: 'rgb(42, 87, 117)',

to:

ServerBlue: 'rgb(Your Color)',

rgb(42,87,117)

to:

rgb(Your Color)

==========================================================

vizportal.min.js

ServerBlue:"rgb(42, 87, 117)"

to:

ServerBlue:"rgb(YOUR COLOR)"

e.bluePalette?"rgb(42,87,117)"

to:

e.bluePalette?"rgb(Your Color)"

===========================================================

this file has changed significatly

vizportal.css

The names of the classes change with each release and this part of the tutorial will constantly change.

Best suggestion is find the hex value of the default colors with a dropper tool and replace all of those values with the new one.

Don't forget to update .gz files with the new versions.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • 31. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
          Toby Erkson

It's best to do a search, not just look for the exact location by line number.

• 32. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
            Jacob Orup Lund

A little update - I just done this in 10.4.1 and here are my notes:

Files I changed:

vizportal.css

vizportal.js

vizportal.min.js

As far as I can tell it is no longer necessary to change the vizportal.css in order to change the topbar color. You can however change different elements using this file, e.g. the color of the selected item bar (shown below Workbooks)

pastedImage.png

This is done by changing the color in the section tb-subplace-tab-button.tb-selected:hover - initial value is: 2a5775 - change it to whatever you like :-)

Changing the top bar color:

When changing the two .js files do the following:

1) Search and replace the following value 42, 87, 117 with your own color code - remember the space after the commas

2) Search and replace the following value 42,87,117 with your own color code - here you leave out the space after the commas

3) Save

Both combinations occur in the files and once you changed both sets (they occur more than once) - the color of the topbar changes.

Changing the color of the selected item in the top bar:

Open the two .js files and do the following:

1) Search and replace the following value 28,57,77 with your own color code - leave out the space after the commas

2) Save

Remember:

- delete the old .gz files after changing the .css and the two .js files

- recreate the .gz files using 7-zip and the format gzip

- restart the server using tabadmin restart after changing the files and generating the new .gz files

- delete your browser cache before refreshing the URL to view the changes

- the steps, names and color codes will probably change with coming version

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 33. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
              Toby Erkson

Jacob, you didn't explain changes made to the .CSS file.

• 34. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                Jacob Orup Lund

Hi Toby,

I actually did, but not good enough I guess :-). It's this part:

This is done by changing the color in the section tb-subplace-tab-button.tb-selected:hover - initial value is: 2a5775 - change it to whatever you like :-)

So I did the following:

• Opened the file vizportfal.css
                • Searched for 2a5775 (the hex version of the 42, 87, 117 color code)
                • Replaced the first hit of the value with a new value (I used 48ff00). The first hit is in the tb-subplace-tab-button.tb-selected:hover section/class
                • Saved the file
                • Deleted the .gz version of the file
                • Created a new version of the .gz file using 7-zip
                • Executed the tabadmin restart command
                • Cleared the browser cache
                • Opened up Tableau server

The above steps, changes the color of the bar shown in green (48ff00) below:

pastedImage.png

Hope this helps.

• 35. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                  Toby Erkson

Thanks for providing the additional details   This helps people get it right the first time.  There are all levels of skills here so details are key.

• 36. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                    S. Blake

I'm surprised at how common it is to change the color schema that no one has developed a tool to pick the colors then write those changes to the files that need to be changed. I don't think tableau needs to build this as a feature, I mean it would be great but a simple powershell script or something would be great!

• 37. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                      Toby Erkson

Until Tableau once again changes how it displays Server pages

• 38. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                        S. Blake

Has anyone found the highlighted menu color? I was able to change the bar color, but there's a darker blue that changes when you select the menu. You'll note in the example "Schedules" is the tableau default highlighted color. When I use the color picker to get RGB and hex values for that color I can't find that in any of the files that I changed to change the top menu.

Thanks all!

• 39. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                          Jacob Lund

Hi,

Yes, that is what I described in the section above:

Changing the color of the selected item in the top bar:

Open the two .js files and do the following:

1) Search and replace the following value 28,57,77 with your own color code - leave out the space after the commas

2) Save

Let me know if you have any questions - remember to leave out the spaces after the commas in 28,57,77

Cheers,

Jacob

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                          • 40. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                            Brad Slaughter

When I alter the file and then try to save, I get an access is denied error.  Does that sound like a privileges issue or do I need to shut the server down before saving?

• 41. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                              Mark Wu

I learned great deal from this post and I confirm that those changes work for 10.5.0 as well.

Updated on Feb 26, 2018: Added step 3 color # 517991 change and step 5.

The only piece which I did not see anyone mentioned before was hover color change. I also changed hover color in additional to background color and selected color. To change the hover color, just replaced rgb(35,74,99) with your own hover color for both vizportal.js  and vizportal.min.js files. Here is what I did (almost everything was contributed by others before, I just put them together so new comers do not have to piece them together anymore):

1. Make backups of All Filles before changing anything.These files are in: c:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.x\vizportalclient\public
                              2. For both vizportal.js and vizportal.min.js
                                • Search 'rgb(42, 87, 117)' and replace to: my color (with space)
                                • Searchrgb(42,87,117)’ and replace to: my color (no space)
                                • Change selected color: Search rgb(28,57,77) and replace to: my color
                                • Change hover color: Search rgb(35,74,99) and replace to: my color

3 . For vizportal.css

• Search #2A5775 and replace to: my color (#2A5775 is Tableau default blue : rgb(42,87,117))
                                • Search #517991 and replace to: my selected color (this is the search selected color, default is different kind of blue)

4. Delete vizportal.js.gz, vizportal.min.js.gz and vizportal.css.gz and re-create them using 7-zip and the format gzip

5. Rename file \Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\x.x\vizportalclient\public\img\header_divider.png to header_divider_backup.png. This is to get rid of the two vertical Tableau blue bars.

6. tabadmin restart

7. logout/login to see the changes taking effective.

Note1:  What is step 3: #517991? It is the search selected color (it shows up if you search and then select item)

screenshot_2750.png

Note2: Why do the step 5? It is not a color but an image. Just rename the tiny vertical line to get rid of it.

screenshot_2739.png

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                              • 42. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                                Toby Erkson

Thanks Mark for doing this.  I was not able to find 1C394D in my files, however, everything else I was able to find and change successfully

QA Server Orange

• 43. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                                  Toby Erkson

I was doing a little testing and I was getting tired of having to restart my Tableau Server every time because it's several minutes so as an experiment I just killed the "vizportal.exe" process:

It died and then re-spawned.  After a much shorter amount of time its CPU activity stopped and my site was back up and visible   This only needs to be done on the primary server (1-node or multi-node Tableau Server environments).

So this looks like a faster way to make changes to the server without bringing it totally down!  That's cooler than an epic battle between Jedi Polar Bears!

light saber gif

• 44. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                                    Mark Wu

Toby Erkson You rock! Killing "vizportal.exe" process does save a lot of time! I tried it today and it works. Good catch for your other post about 1C394D which is the selected color. I double checked and it does not exist on 10.5, which is Ok. I edited my previous post to make it clear now. Thank you