1 2 3 4 Previous Next 50 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2018 8:06 AM by Amit Kalia Branched to a new discussion.

Changing color top bar tableau server

Ons RHAIMI

Hello,

I want to change the top bar background color in tableau server from blue to red.

I tried to configure vizportal.css and I used this site http://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/server/en-us/customize_namelogo.htm but it does not reply to my need.

Can you help me please…header.png

• 1. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Ons RHAIMI,

Is this Server version 10? 

Also - you will notice that I moved this thread to the Server Administration area of the community where it is more likely to be answered by another Server Admin.

Patrick 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
            Glen Robinson

Hi

To change the Top bar colour, do the following

1. locate the vizportal.css file in <tableau directory>\<version>\vizportalclient\public

2. Take a backup copy of it (just in case). Edit the file (I use notepad++)

3. Find the tb-top-bar class, and alter the background-color

4. Save the vizportal.css file, and tabadmin restart

5. Remember that during upgrades this file will get overwritten, so you need to keep a copy of it.

Also this is unsupported by Tableau, so if it breaks anything, you are on your own....

Good Luck

Glen

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
              Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Marked Glen's response correct.

• 4. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                Deepak Reddy Mogulla

Thanks Nick Pileggi that helps. I have all the steps to change the banner for Tableau 9.x. We are planning to upgrade to Tableau 10 soon and your reply helps. But our change also involves change of fonts colors and hover and selected color changes. Have to figure out where to change all these in 10.

• 5. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                  Deepak Reddy Mogulla

Changes to be made for regular Tableau top-bar (banner):

Directory: <your_tableau_location:>\10.x\vizportalclient\public

Files: vizportal.css, vizportal.js, vizportal.min.js

To have the same banner in web edit mode:

Directory: <your_tableau_location:>\10.x\viqlserver\public\v_<some_number>\css

Files: vqlauthoringweb.css

To add a background image to the sign-in page:

Directory: <your_tableau_location:>\10.x\vizportalclient\public\<language>\

Files: vizportal.html

To have the same image on the site-selector page:

Directory: <your_tableau_location:>\10.x\vizportalclient\public\<language>\

Files: loginSitePicker.html

Note: Except for logo changes, all the other mentioned changes are not supported by Tableau.

Go ahead and play with Tableau to customize it your way. I have customized in a way that none can imagine it is Tableau.

For more information fell free to shoot me with any question about customizing anything in Tableau.

• 6. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                    Deepak Reddy Mogulla

Please ignore the site-selector page clause. it is only for login via desktop.

• 7. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                      Toby Erkson

Deepak Reddy Mogulla wrote:

Go ahead and play with Tableau to customize it your way. I have customized in a way that none can imagine it is Tableau.

If one knows java or whatever language they are using.  I tried making the default sort for Name, not Views, in the Workbook view and could not figure it out

• 8. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                        Deepak Reddy Mogulla

I am somewhat sure that this is where it should be changed to the below value (in yellow) from Name (in your case).

Where to find it:

Check out the ContentSubplace.html file under the en folder in vizportalpublic. 

This gets a little complex and would need a javascript developer to figure out what and where to change it. I will try to figure it out but I am not certain that I will find the solution any time soon.

This is just the start of figuring it out, not a solution.

• 9. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                          Ruthie Petty

Has anyone tried this in 10.1.4? I'm having trouble getting the banner color changed after this upgrade, although I had it working with 10.1.1. I tried these steps, and searched all over these 3 files for instances of Tableau Blue to replace:

1. locate these files in <tableau directory>\<version>\vizportalclient\public
                          2. Take a backup copy of it (just in case). Edit the file (I use notepad++)
                          3. Find the tb-top-bar class, and alter the background-color
                            • vizportal.css [line 7363, 7393; was #282828, which is strange, because that's not Tableau blue],
                            • vizportal.js [lines 58, 39795]; changed ServerBlue and BackgroundColor as 'rgb(42, 87, 117)' to 'rgb(229, 86, 32)'
                            • vizportal.min.js [ServerBlue changed 'rgb(42, 87, 117)' to 'rgb(229, 86, 32)']

It is really useful to change the banner color for different environments. I use orange for DEV and it's more efficient when I have DEV and PRD screens open at the same time.

Thanks for any help!

• 10. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                            Chris Taylor

I've got this working on 10.1.4, I'm changing to a lighter blue but here are the steps I took and it worked for me:

There are 6 files that need to be changed. 3 of these are .gz versions of the other 3.

These files are in: C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.1\vizportalclient\public

vizportal.js

On line 58, under the var SemanticColors section change:

ServerBlue: 'rgb(42, 87, 117)',

to:

ServerBlue: 'rgb(0, 187, 220)',

On line 39795, under HeaderStyles.HeaderBackgroundColor change:

rgb(42,87,117)

to:

rgb(0,187,220)

vizportal.min.js

On line 1, change:

ServerBlue:"rgb(42, 87, 117)"

to:

ServerBlue:"rgb(0, 187, 220)"

On line 14, change:

e.HeaderBackgroundColor=e.bluePalette?"rgb(42,87,117)"

to:

e.HeaderBackgroundColor=e.bluePalette?"rgb(0,187,220)"

vizportal.css

Line 7363, under .tb-top-bar, change:

background-color: #282828;

to

background-color: #00bbdc;

Line 7393, under .tb-top-bar-toggle, change:

background-color: #282828;

to

background-color: #00bbdc;

Don't forget to update .gz files with the new versions. I believe this is so that if the server gives a client compressed versions of those files they'll get the right colours too.

Hope that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                              Deepak Reddy Mogulla

Wanted to add this to Chris' reply.

The .gz files should be deleted and must be replaced by new .gz files after you have modified the css, js and js.min files. Then reboot Tableau Server and it should change as per your settings.

• 12. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                                Toby Erkson

Deepak Reddy Mogulla wrote:

The .gz files should be deleted and must be replaced by new .gz files after you have modified the css, js and js.min files...

How do you make new .gz files?

• 13. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                                  Deepak Reddy Mogulla

How to generate a gz file.gif

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Changing color top bar tableau server
                                    Toby Erkson

Thanks Deepak, I didn't even catch that those files are compressed

1 2 3 4 Previous Next