5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2016 1:07 PM by Mike Burke

maps and geocoding

vinisha.g

I have a data set i wanted to create a dash board can anyone please help me out?

sample data

orgindestiantiontypeCoefficients
      LAXJFKair2-0.412
      LAXJFKair3-0.251
      LAXJFKair4-0.353
      LAXJFKair50.196
      LAXJFKair60.535
      LAXJFKair7-0.165
      LAXJFKair80.269
      LAXJFKFARE-0.297
      LAXJFKL1_NonStop_0-0.412
      LAXJFKL2_Stop_1-0.251
      LAXJFKL2_Stop_2-0.353
      LAXJFKL2_Stop_30.196
      LAXJFKL2_Stop_40.535
      LAXJFKT1-0.165

The tableau dashboard should give options for user to select the distinct option under for airlines,

no of stops, time of day, cabin class, weekday , week end

Based on the selection the respective coefficients have to be taken and added up and score needs to be shown on the DB

can anyone please help out in detail

• 1. Re: maps and geocoding
          Mike Burke

Hi Vinisha,

Your question is a little unclear, but based off your title you're looking to map these airports.  To do so, you'll need to find additional attributes to your data so you have some address information.  This could be the zip code, city/state, or preferably longitude/latitude.  Tableau will automatically map zip codes or city/states, which I think meets the need you're looking for.  If you looking for something more precise in the future you can a list of addresses geocoded here:Batch Geocode.

Also, there is a lot of similar visuals on Tableau Public to help get you started.  Like this one: Visualizing More Than Five Million Flights | Tableau Public.

Lastly, given that you're interested in some time elements (time of day, weekday, weekend, etc), I suggest you import a date dimension and join it to your source data.  This can be found here.

Thanks and good luck!

Mike

• 2. Re: maps and geocoding
            vinisha.g

thanq mike

• 3. Re: maps and geocoding
              vinisha.g

Hello mike,

inn the dashboard if i keep filter as type if the user selects the  multiple in type of flight then it should show output as sum of coefficents that the user selected.

can you please help me in calculating

thanks, in advance

• 4. Re: maps and geocoding
                vinisha.g

for example:

if i filter the type and select type is air and air2 it should show output as sum of air2 and air3

= (-0.142 - 0.251)

how to write a calculated filed

and how to do it in dashboard

• 5. Re: maps and geocoding
                  Mike Burke

In your first comment: yes, Tableau will only calculate (sum in this case) whatever is selected in the filters.

In your second comment: you don't write calculated fields in the dashboard.  You create workbooks that show different views of your data source.  The dashboard allows you to then show those workbooks in one place while connecting them through actions and filters. My best advice is to check out some of the tutorials before jumping too deep into a project.  You'll have a much better understanding of what's possible and will be able to solve a lot of the problems that come up as you are working through this project. Unlike some other software products, Tableau has made a lot of work into their training videos / whitepapers / etc.

Best of luck!

Example – Creating a Calculated Field