2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 12:14 PM by Mark Fraser

How can I create custom districts from shp.file

Ivett Kovács

Hi,

I want to show Budapest district on the Tableau map.

I followed this article( https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/current/pro/online/mac/en-us/maps_shapefiles.htmlhttp://) and used the attached shp. file but I did not got the right view.

Mark Fraser

What did I do wrong?

Ivett

• 1. Re: How can I create custom districts from shp.file
          Steve Burger

Ivett,

I think the data in the shapefiles might be erroneous. You might double check the source from which you've obtained this data.

I successfully converted from Shapefile to CSV using the free Alteryx Gallery tool supplied by Craig Bloodworth of The InformationLab UK.

Link here; Alteryx Analytics Gallery

However, after converting, I ran into a problem with the Latitude and Longitude values.. They were way too large.

LatLongBuda.PNG

Assuming that these were mostly correct, but with the decimal in the wrong place, I created two new columns by dividing these values by 10000.

buda2.jpg

But, when I mapped it, unless Budapest has moved into the Indian Ocean, the location is wrong. (Who knows, global warming?)

BudapestDistrics_error..PNG

File attached here for review if you like.

Thanks,

Steve Burger

Tableau Online Deployment Advisor

• 2. Re: How can I create custom districts from shp.file
            Mark Fraser

Hi Ivett

I hope all is well in Budapest?

Apologies for the delayed reply, holidays...

Ivett Kovács wrote:

What did I do wrong?

You haven't done anything wrong, as Steve suggests, its likely an issue with the source data.

Where did it come from? I have had a very quick look online and couldn't find anything, but my Hungarian is not fantastic (to be honest).

One thing - Budapest co-ordinates are (roughly) 47,50 lat 19,10 long

I couldn't see an obvious correlation between the existing co-ords (24-25/64-65) and Budapest?!

If I can help further, I'll try

All the best

Mark