4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2016 6:28 AM by Toby Erkson

If Tableau Public has a forum then why aren't people asking questions inside of it?

Toby Erkson

Probably because they don't even know it exists!  I found it through the Firefox search (Windows key + s):

Search for "tableau public" and I get:

There's a forum for Tableau Public:  Tableau Public

Why isn't there a link to it?

What caused me to look for it?  Bill's aggravation:  Re: Data download feature disabled on "Tableau Public" .  If the space is available then let's make use of it

I've seen TP questions and wouldn't one think that there should be a [supported] forum for these folk like there is for Community, Server, Desktop, & API/SDK Devs?

Oh, and a link to the Vizable support forum while we're at it?

• 1. Re: If Tableau Public has a forum then why aren't people asking questions inside of it?
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Thank you Toby.  The area is new and was intented to be a resource hub that could easily be updated by users coming from Tableau Public.  Our initial thought is that having a link to this as a forum space might be confusing since most questions are applicable to 'forums' that might appear specifically in the Public area.  I'd like to hear a bit more on thoughts of this topic.  As  a question/answer section, do you think there are specific questions that should go here for a user coming in via the front door of the community? 

Patrick

• 2. Re: If Tableau Public has a forum then why aren't people asking questions inside of it?
            Toby Erkson

If they are coming from TP then how do they get to the TP forum?  I went with the intuitive route:

and ended up in the Tableau Community Welcome page!

That certainly didn't make sense if I'm supposed to be dropped into the TP forum 

As you know, I'm not crazy about the current menu system.  It needs a serious revamping but that is another, more in-depth conversation.  However, I like the idea of a TP forum as it can fill the hole for such questions just as the Tableau S&OA forum came to be for Server/admin questions.  Granted, I wouldn't expect the TP forum to get a lot of questions, just like we don't see a lot of ODBC Connection questions in that sub-forum (but it's there nonetheless).  So I think that giving TP its own space in the Forums list fine with me because it is a separate "product".

• 3. Re: If Tableau Public has a forum then why aren't people asking questions inside of it?
              Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Toby -  the posts that are ending up in this area are here because of how they are tagged.  YOu will notice that the posts don't really live here but instead that they show up in this section based on their tag.   A post here will actually post in the "Forums" space. 

• 4. Re: If Tableau Public has a forum then why aren't people asking questions inside of it?
                Toby Erkson

Ok, so to me that means it is a Category or Subspace.  I went with both of those and saw that it is a Category:

as well as a Subspace :

Side observation:  Kind of confusing in that Server & Online Admin. is a subspace but not a category, yet it appears to be an equal to Forums from the main drop-down, just like Dev. Comm. and Comm. Canvas:

...just doing some checking...

The category is catching posts that are marked by the category "Tableau Public", as it should, so that's good but the subspace is not   I made a test post using the tag "tableau public" in the Tableau Public subspace.  It does not show up in the "Tableau Public Recent Content" (because it's not marked by a category is my guess) but does display in the Activity and Content sections of its subspace (as it should so that works as expected).

I dunno Patrick, it's not intuitive and I can see it being confusing for a newbie.  My input is to remove the subspace but keep the category for the time being.  As a category it has lots of pages and probably would be able to support itself as a true forum if y'all wanted to go that direction like y'all did with Server & Online Admin.